Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrbill317

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
I just purchased a ibook from one of the members on here. I was wondering what types of memory or hard drives I could use to beef it up.
I saw some ebay auctions for pc-100 or 133 laptop memory.
What is cool is I have tons of them as I upgrade Thinkpads all the time.

Can I use regular laptop ide hard drives?

What is the maximum amt of ram the 366's take? I have a couple pc-133 256megs

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
As you can see from Everymac the 366Mhz toilet seat iBook has an official max ram capacity of 320Mb, although some have got it to accept 576Mb.

You need 144pin PC66 SD-RAM modules. Faster ones might work, but they still have to be 144pin modules. Note it only has 1 RAM slot.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
I just purchased a ibook from one of the members on here. I was wondering what types of memory or hard drives I could use to beef it up.
I saw some ebay auctions for pc-100 or 133 laptop memory.
What is cool is I have tons of them as I upgrade Thinkpads all the time.

Can I use regular laptop ide hard drives?

What is the maximum amt of ram the 366's take? I have a couple pc-133 256megs

Upgrading the HD is pretty easy. I just did it on a 466Mhz. Just follow the iFixit guide.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
With a little patience taking most of the thing apart, upgrading the hard drive to something more usable than the usual 3gb is straight-forward. Drop a 30gb hd in there and max out the ram slot and you'll have a nice machine for surfing the web (video will be dodgy, but can't have everything for cheap ;) ), light tasks like word processing and notetaking.

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
Cracking one of these open the first time is a little scary, but if you follow the ifixit instructions and go carefully, you'll be fine. Just watch out for the ribbon cable that goes to the trackpad, as it's easy to miss and equally easy to break/tear.

Don't ask me how I know....:eek:

MacDann

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.