Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Is it possible to put a 2GB RAM chip in a 1.5GHz PowerBook G4? I think the answer is no but I just want to make sure.

The reason I want to do this is that the lower RAM slot died leaving me with only one usable slot. I am not looking to go over the 2GB maximum on my machine but I want to know if I can get to that maximum using only one slot.

Put another way, does anybody know if the 2GB maximum is due to each slot only recognizing up to 1GB each or is it that the motherboard can only address up to 2GB total?

Thanks

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Is it possible to put a 2GB RAM chip in a 1.5GHz PowerBook G4? I think the answer is no but I just want to make sure.

The reason I want to do this is that the lower RAM slot died leaving me with only one usable slot. I am not looking to go over the 2GB maximum on my machine but I want to know if I can get to that maximum using only one slot.

Put another way, does anybody know if the 2GB maximum is due to each slot only recognizing up to 1GB each or is it that the motherboard can only address up to 2GB total?

Thanks

Doesnt Apple have an extended warranty for the PB with lower RAM slot failure?

yippy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Unfortunately my PowerBook does not fall under that extended warrantee. I did find that when the slot first died a few months ago and my serial number is not in the correct range. My PowerBook is also in the 1.33/1.5GHz series, not the 1.5/1.67GHz series so I am not even in the correct generation for it.

It isn't worth the $700 to fix it on my own so I am hoping someone tried a 2GB chip. It is a shot in the dark, I know.

cosolin

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2009
Seattle, WA
I have the same problem with my powerbook G4. Did you ever try the 2gb ram chip in the one slot to see if it worked? Hope it did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.