Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one is it?

• Pleased with matte

Votes: 79 47.3%
  • Pleased with glossy

Votes: 66 39.5%
  • Wish I got the glossy

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Wish I got the matte

Votes: 16 9.6%

• Total voters

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Loved the glossy (Macbook) at first but the glare is starting to get annoying. Will definitely get matte next time (MBP).

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
I went from a glossy 17" Gateway to a matte 12" iBook to a glossy 13" Macbook between November and December last year. I enjoyed the low glare of the iBook, but typing from my Macbook, I don't see any glare either...unless I angle the screen toward a light source. Overall, I'm fine with glossy screens. If I got a Thinkpad, though, I'd get a matte.

Flyer0815

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
PA
I currently own a glossy MBP, a MBA which is default glossy and an Imac, which is also default glossy. I love them all. I understand that certain graphics professionals can not use a glossy screen, but for my personal use I absolutely love them compared to matte.

tip

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
Matte here, and I like it. Honestly, I'm not that opinionated on the glossy/matte debate though.

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
Hmm, I find the current results to be pretty interesting in the sense that about an even number of people go with both and both are pretty pleased with their screens.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
High-res glossy 17" MBP here. Love the screen - it's less reflective than some glossy screens I've seen and I'd definitely buy glossy again.

ABernardoJr

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2006
I'm pleased with my Matte screen MBP too. I didn't get the option though, I got it from a store on base in San Diego, but luckily it came with pretty much all the specs I wanted, including the matte screen.

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
Back when I was a young a naive gamer, I had a 17" Alienware gaming "desktop replacement" (large laptop) with a glossy display. It was great for gaming in the dark, however the glare really got to me when using it in lighted situations. I chose matte when I got my Macbook and am absolutely satisfied with it. I understand the colors show better in a glossy display, however the glare is reason enough for me to get matte. I'm also the guy who chose a large LCD over a plasma for the same reason. (I used to work at Best Buy selling TV's).

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Back when I was a young a naive gamer, I had a 17" Alienware gaming "desktop replacement" (large laptop) with a glossy display. It was great for gaming in the dark, however the glare really got to me when using it in lighted situations. I chose matte when I got my Macbook and am absolutely satisfied with it. I understand the colors show better in a glossy display, however the glare is reason enough for me to get matte. I'm also the guy who chose a large LCD over a plasma for the same reason. (I used to work at Best Buy selling TV's).

You mean Macbook Pro right? Macbooks don't come with matte.

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
You mean Macbook Pro right? Macbooks don't come with matte.

Well, I'm really showing off my newbie-ness huh?

:(Unfortunately, for me, I meant Macbook. I bought the low-end in the store and assumed it came with a matte finish, completely unaware I had no choice.

After reading that post I put the light on behind me and moved around, and sure enough, not that I doubted you, I saw glare.

Show me some pity as I have only had my Macbook for about 5 days and one of the days was Valentines Day and another day I went to a concert, so my time on it has been limited.

With this newfound knowledge I have I can say that I am very happy with the glossy screen on my Macbook, especially considering I didn't see glare until I really looked for it. I must say I am now a believer in a glossy finish.

Let this be my real initiation into the MacRumors forums. I have noticed how nice everyone is here so I'm grateful that if I looked stupid, it was on this website and not another. Time for me to do some more research. :eek:

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I have enjoyed glossy on the iMac but was glad to have the matte option on the MBP. With the portable I am in light conditions a bit more.

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
I bought my MacBook mostly because of the screen, actually. I definitely prefer the color of glossy screens, and surprisingly enough, I find glossy displays easier to read outside than matte screens.

Joko

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Why was glossy even introduced?

- Glare
- Fingerprints
- Inaccurate color representation
- Heavier

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Matte all the way. Would not even consider buying any computer with a low cost glossy screen. That's one reason why mfgs started using them - because it costs less = more $$$ in their pocket.

Look at the history of computers and screens, 100 per cent of them were matte up until a few years ago.

I own a Macbook Pro and iMac. I bought an older iMac (24" 2.16 Mhz) new for $1299 just because it has the matte finish. The newer iMacs are all glossy. I looked at them and don't like them.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I voted from wish I got the matte but in all honesty the option should be I wish I had the choice.

The MB is a really good little machine but forcing us to have glossy is not good. At first I thought it was fine but when I switch between my iMac and my MB I just wish I had a matte screen on my MB.

Next time I will buy matte even if this means spending another £400.

MacBookJoePro

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2006
Had the matte screen for 2 years. Always wished I had the glossy finish. Just a couple days ago I got a new MBP with the glossy screen and am loving it ever since. I'm not usually in places with a lot of light sources so there is virtually no glare for me!! woohoo.

-JoE

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Well....I was recently on a trip and my friend has a glossy MBP. We compared them with brightness up and such. The glossy has much nicer darks and everything jumps out at you. But, once we put that thing in light you couldnt see jack. Matte is my preference and when I had a MB I was so happy to get rid of it. Glossy is very nice though, just a pain.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
I absolutely detest the glossy screens. We spent years and years trying to overcome the glossyness of CRTs due to eye fatigue and headaches. Now we try to bring it back? My wife's MacBook always gives me a headache when I use it, my eyes just always focus on the dang reflection. I love the matte screen on my MBP. In perfect, dark, conditions glossy might be better but for real world use no way. I'm glad I got my 2.33 iMac before the glossy introduction, hopefully in 3 or 4 years when I look to buy a new one Apple will have pulled its head out of its rear and at least offer the option for a matte screen on the iMacs. Viva' la Matte.

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
Matte. Field editing with video makes glossy out of the question. Not to mention that matte is easier to view under different lighting situations, where gloss is not (IMHO.)

And, should it ever happen <gasp>:eek: matte doesn't show fingerprints. Of course, if I catch anyone touching my screen they'll pull back a bloody stump, but that's a completely different issue.

MacDann

soms

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2007
Seattle
I was too used to my regular desktop monitor to get a glossy display, so I went with matte on my MBP. Absolutely love it, and it helps a TON while sitting in lecture halls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.