Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiderhole

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
I'm running :apple:TV2 via wireless g (netgear router) connected to itunes on a winXP machine. The problem happens when I leave the :apple:TV running for a couple of hours before with nothing playing. If I then try to play a song from my itunes library via the :apple:TV it appears to freeze up once I choose the song (black screen). If I check itunes on the computer, the :apple:TV still appears in the device list and I can alter he settings. A few minutes later the :apple:TV spontaneously reboots, then asks for language preference and give option for a restart. After the restart all seems to be working again.

I've turned OFF my firewall in winXP for the last day or so, have added the :apple:TV ip address to he router's safe list, and have even tried manually assigning the :apple:TV a fixed ip address. Nothing seems to work. I'm going to try hooking it up via wired ethernet next but need to run a new cable from the router first. My computer does NOT go into any kind of sleep mode of hibernation, btw.

Any ideas?
thanks

spiderhole

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
One thing I forgot to mention is that my music is NOT synced to the ATV. Also, I'm thinking about getting a wireless N router to replace my G one since my laptop supports that speed anyway. Maybe it will help the dropping problem too as a bonus.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'm having the same issue. It happens at least every morning.

When I wake up and turn on the TV, the :apple:TV goes to the :apple: logo, then asks me for the language and then reboots. This happens every single day.

I think you may be on to something about it being left alone for a long period of time because this has happened during the day as well.

So Apple is late on delivering Take 2 and we all think that they're delaying it to make sure its released without bugs then something like this critical bug comes up?

My Apple TV crashes all the time. I hope Apple is aware of this and scrambling to get a patch out the door ASAP.

spiderhole

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
ipedro, thanks for the reply. Are you running itunes on a pc or mac? Is your ATV connected wirelessly?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'm on a Mac and unlike you, I actually have all my content sync'd. I have a 160GB :apple:TV.

I'm surprised this isn't being reported extensively. Seeing that's the case, I'm thinking of doing a factory restore and then updating the system and syncing it all again.

Simply turning on the TV after a long period of inactivity triggers this reboot. I'm guessing that turning on the TV establishes a signal with :apple:TV so its just as if I'm using the remote or any other method of communication.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
HDMI connectors? (Just curious, since my TV seems to send a reset signal to the :apple:TV now -- it reports "Weak or no signal" and then, a second later, up pops the screensaver.)

I went through this rebooting issue the day after the update, but it hasn't happened since.

I did pull its plug and let it sit for a minute... you guys should assume the update wasn't kosher, and redo it. Barring that, report it to Apple. Oh, and please post what kind of TV you have if you're using HDMI. Seems the Pannys and Samsungs (mine's a sammy) have problems.

spiderhole

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
I'm hooked to a sony SXRD via HDMI. I don't get any signal warnings on the set when the screensaver comes up or when I put the ATV in sleep mode. I'll try hooking up via component for a day or two and see if there is any change.

spiderhole

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
I ended up using wired ethernet instead of wireless and no problems since. Fingers crossed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.