Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

santabarbaramac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
Of course patience is applicable here... But where is the experience of walking into a giant virtual Blockbuster. I do like my new AppleTV but the lack of contact is BS. As soon as I saw the announcement of rentals the thought of not going to the store for my wife at 8 pm cuz TV sux was enough for me to shell out dollars for it. My experience so far is fantastic... HD movies are clear and cool. Problem is this... when are we going to see 7000+ movies and more like NetFlix has?

I am surprised with Apple's track record and all those studio announcements that they weren't better stocked up. There should be a larger selection for sure and they should at least be adding things every day.

Anyone have a guess as to why they started out with a big fat Westerns section? Think Jobs is an old cowboy fan?

Tennesotans

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2007
I suspect the studios are very nervous about giving Apple even more distribution power. I hope Apple can add a few hundred each month from here on...

We had friends over to pick/watch a movie Saturday night... I went through the existing stock and found five movies that we all hadn't seen and might like to watch (all "ripe" on the tomatometer :) ). Thats not many. Its all about content from here on, you've got to know Apple is chomping at the bit to add movies...

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I know it is early in the process, but even the 30 days after DVD release looks like an optimistic target at the moment. I don't see any of the Bourne movies for example and the last one came out almost 2 months ago. Most of the new releases are 3-6 months old, so I have either seen them all or I don't have much of an interest.

Besides how come some movies are available for purchase, but not for rental? They are already encoded, so why bother limiting the options?

santabarbaramac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
Content, content, content...

Thanks for the responses everyone... my friend always says "it's easy to be negative" but at this point I can't help but feel like I pulled trigger too early. The studios should be stoked with people that are willing to give them money from any channel. Truth be told, I wouldn't have rented the movies that I did from Blockbuster. I hardly go there cuz it's a pain.

We have already rented 5 films in 7 days... I think that's like $20 plus bucks with a mix of HD, old and new rents. Like one of you posted, I've seen most of what's on the site already... Guess from here on out it's all about the wait and see game...

The aTV is overall cool. I like the interface and rented TV shows on it as well. I am big enough to admit that in the past I would download things from PirateBay that perhaps an ethically pure person wouldn't do... with aTV I am perfectly willing to pay for the convenience and ease of use. In fact I prefer it to the hassle of Torrents. But if the studios and apple want my and thousands of others money, they need to rollout fast and furious.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Yeah, the faster the better, especially for Apple. I doubt this is in the "hobby" category anymore.

Why not use it for other purposes besides rentals? I've got my music and photos on it, and my favorite DVDs, too.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
I was going to make a similar topic.

ive had the :apple:TV sense it launched last June. Ive used it here and there but with this new update, I was really excited about it. I now never really rent movies. I own a Huge dvd collection (400+) and an ever growing Blu-ray collection (103+).

But sometimes, you have the urge to watch a movie and I thought this would be perfect.

Throughout the weekend, I got the urge (after watching the new Indiana Jones trailer) to watch the original 3. Nope, not on :apple:TV.

Later on, I saw the trailer for Step Up 2:The Streets. I was like hell, I never saw the first one (and its a Disney/Buena Vista flick) so I figured it would be on there. Nope, not on :apple:TV.

So thats atleast $16, gone there from Apple. But yea, I know content will grow but I cant help but feel like people will take this home and see not much content and return or be disappointed and not offer to others, while if they had alot more content, it would have had alot more Pazaz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.