Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:18 PM   #1
youradhere4222
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Wet iPod Touch

So... I had my iPod Touch in my backpack with a gatorade which I was sure I sealed up, but apparently I didn't.

So, a bit of Gatorade got on it, but it was only there for a couple of minutes.

At first, the screen turned black with white lines scratching across it, and now the Apple logo is frozen on it.........

Any suggestions?
youradhere4222 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:20 PM   #2
Eraserhead
macrumors G4
 
Eraserhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Its probably gone, but let it dry out naturally for a couple of days and hope.
__________________
If they have to tell you every day they are fair you can bet they arent, if they tell you they are balanced then you should know they are not - Don't Hurt me
Eraserhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:21 PM   #3
BrownManUPS
macrumors 6502a
 
BrownManUPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by youradhere4222 View Post
So... I had my iPod Touch in my backpack with a gatorade which I was sure I sealed up, but apparently I didn't.

So, a bit of Gatorade got on it, but it was only there for a couple of minutes.

At first, the screen turned black with white lines scratching across it, and now the Apple logo is frozen on it.........

Any suggestions?
The problem with Gatorade is that it isn't water and therefore won't evaporate without leaving residue, like the simple sugars in it. You might want to try giving it a nice "massage" to try and get the liquid out, but it may have dried up, so leave it next to a window where there is sunlight and let it all get out (if it hasn't been a while).

Check the infamous "headphone water indicator" and see if it changed color (look inside the headphone jack with a light and see if you see a color change from "black"). If it hasn't changed color, you could chance taking it to an apple store and having it replaced for free.
__________________
My Site
13'' Macbook Air | SB 1.7 GHz | 4GB RAM | 128 GB HDD
iPhone 5 | 32GB | Black
BrownManUPS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:41 PM   #4
skir0987
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
You could try restoring it if somehow by coincedence there was a firmware malfunction when the gatorade spilled... but I doubt that would work.

Shep
skir0987 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 01:58 PM   #5
gbross
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
A year ago I packed some Hot Sour Soup in my backpack next to my Palm TX. When I got to work I discovered the TX covered in a garlicky soupy slime. I let it dry out for a few days.

It booted up fine but the WIFI capabilities were lost forever.

Is Gatorade made in China? Hot Sour soup is.
gbross is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 02:04 PM   #6
a104375
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Matamoras, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbross View Post
Is Gatorade made in China? Hot Sour soup is.
lol i dont know if its made in china but.. i think if the headphone water indicator hasn't changed i would definitely take it to an apple store and have it checked out
a104375 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 04:00 PM   #7
ydb1914
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: the swamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbross View Post
A year ago I packed some Hot Sour Soup in my backpack next to my Palm TX. When I got to work I discovered the TX covered in a garlicky soupy slime. I let it dry out for a few days.

It booted up fine but the WIFI capabilities were lost forever.

Is Gatorade made in China? Hot Sour soup is.
you did not LOL ...

my advice is do not place all your eggs in one basket
__________________
if you don't lie, you don't have to remember
32Gig Ipod Touch - 2.6GHz 200GB ATA@7200 rpm 15"MacBook Pro - I'm prozac free
ydb1914 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:13 PM   #8
youradhere4222
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Okay, so I'm to look down the headphone jack with a light, what exactly am I looking for, again?
youradhere4222 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:19 PM   #9
spork183
macrumors 6502a
 
spork183's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownManUPS View Post
try giving it a nice "massage"
the ipod touch is all wet, and you recommend a nice massage?
spork183 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 02:15 AM   #10
delude
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by youradhere4222 View Post
Okay, so I'm to look down the headphone jack with a light, what exactly am I looking for, again?
If it's black then take it back,
if it's red it might be dead.

There are people who have had a similar problem but have turned the red indicator back to black somehow. Its worth searching around, but I'm pretty sure they didn't use paint.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB | Mid-2010 MacBook Pro 2.4ghz | iPad Mini Retina 32GB
delude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 02:05 PM   #11
bnizzy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NYC
i've heard of this method for cell phones when dropped in water... maybe it could work.

get some alcohol, the kind thats close to upper double digit percentage... do a quick search. ppl use it for cleaning chipsets and other electrical devices. i forgot what its called tho.

I've heard you dip the cell phone (submerge) and when you pull it out, the alcohol will eliminate all water.

Actually, as i was typing this i realized why this wouldnt work. you cant disconnect the battery.........

hmmm....
__________________
iMac 24" 2.4 GHz
iTouch 16 Gb - JB 1.1.3
BlackBerry Curve
bnizzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:25 PM   #12
quicklook2
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: lakewood, ohio
not that hard to open up the touch case.

what do you have to lose?

do a google search on how to do it.
__________________
"The essence of knowledge is, having it, to apply it; not having it, to confess your ignorance." ~Confucius
quicklook2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:54 PM   #13
BrownManUPS
macrumors 6502a
 
BrownManUPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork183 View Post
the ipod touch is all wet, and you recommend a nice massage?
Yeah because you can press out the water by kinda massaging the back a little. Seriously I tried this with my old iPod and it worked to get some water in the inside out.
__________________
My Site
13'' Macbook Air | SB 1.7 GHz | 4GB RAM | 128 GB HDD
iPhone 5 | 32GB | Black
BrownManUPS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:48 PM   #14
spork183
macrumors 6502a
 
spork183's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownManUPS View Post
Yeah because you can press out the water by kinda massaging the back a little. Seriously I tried this with my old iPod and it worked to get some water in the inside out.
do you still have that pod? Does it still work? Has it reciprocated?
spork183 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 03:37 AM   #15
davidy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicklook2 View Post
not that hard to open up the touch case.

what do you have to lose?

do a google search on how to do it.
What you have to lose is any service that Apple might have otherwise provided. They won't touch a tampered-with unit.

FWIW

I had a cell phone that spent two weeks in a snowbank and was completely soaked and dead when I found it. I put it in the oven at 100 degrees for a half hour and then in front of a fan for a day. After that, it worked again.
__________________
What would Scooby Doo?
davidy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 08:58 AM   #16
pianoman04
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Hope you don't open it. I got my ipod wet, so I simply took it to the Apple store and they replaced it. No questions asked. I didn't even explain to them what happened. I just told him that it wouldn't charge. I'm assuming yours is still within warranty...
pianoman04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 07:34 AM   #17
scotty96LSC
macrumors 65816
 
scotty96LSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman04 View Post
Hope you don't open it. I got my ipod wet, so I simply took it to the Apple store and they replaced it. No questions asked. I didn't even explain to them what happened. I just told him that it wouldn't charge. I'm assuming yours is still within warranty...
A guy I work with forgot to take his 8gb nano out of his pants before washing them. The nano had a wonderful time at the water park, came out, dried off and worked. It did have water droplets inside the screen but the dissipated after a while.
__________________
Scott
15" macbook pro, 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB Ram, 10.6.3; magic mouse; 16gb iPhone 4.3.2
scotty96LSC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:47 AM   #18
Quasiportnoy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnizzy View Post
I've heard you dip the cell phone (submerge) and when you pull it out, the alcohol will eliminate all water.
DO NOT try this. In this video of Andy Ihnatko, he tries several methods of reviving a soaked cell phone, and alcohol completely destroys it. And I wouldn't recommend putting it in the oven either, since the oven doesn't heat perfectly evenly and this could crack the screen or melt connections if your luck is bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wCNiSFfm6w
Quasiportnoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 08:23 PM   #19
youradhere4222
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Okay, it's fully dried, still working, etc.

One problem I'm having is that the battery isn't lasting as it should. I checked the indicator, and it's white.

I didn't buy the extra warranty, how long does it last? Will they replace it, no charge.

Also, I bought it from Best Buy. Do I take it back to Best Buy, or the Apple store?
youradhere4222 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:18 PM   #20
BrownManUPS
macrumors 6502a
 
BrownManUPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork183 View Post
do you still have that pod? Does it still work? Has it reciprocated?
It puts out.
__________________
My Site
13'' Macbook Air | SB 1.7 GHz | 4GB RAM | 128 GB HDD
iPhone 5 | 32GB | Black
BrownManUPS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:37 AM   #21
bnizzy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasiportnoy View Post
DO NOT try this. In this video of Andy Ihnatko, he tries several methods of reviving a soaked cell phone, and alcohol completely destroys it. And I wouldn't recommend putting it in the oven either, since the oven doesn't heat perfectly evenly and this could crack the screen or melt connections if your luck is bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wCNiSFfm6w


thats freakin VODKA.

I was referring to denatured or isopropyl alcohol for cleaning electronics.
I said UPPER DOUBLE DIGITS PERCENTAGE ALCOHOL.

Vodka is not 90-100% alcohol.

I personally have never tried this, but all i'm saying is that it MIGHT work.


Here are a few websites that has this method, many websites claim this works:

http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Laptop-from-Liquid-Damage

http://www.catalogs.com/info/electro...ell-phone.html

Alternative Drying Methods
There is an alternative way to save a wet cell phone that includes an alcohol soak. Alcohol is hygroscopic which means that it attracts water. Soaking your phone in denatured alcohol, or a 95% alcohol solution (regular rubbing alcohol is about 75%), soaks up all the water in the phone. When the liquid is dumped out, only alcohol, which will evaporate, remains. Make sure that the alcohol you use is denatured with only methanol as the chemicals found in other types can be damaging. This kind of alcohol can be purchased at your local hardware store. The alcohol soak may work best for phones that have been damaged by salt water or other liquids such as coffee.
__________________
iMac 24" 2.4 GHz
iTouch 16 Gb - JB 1.1.3
BlackBerry Curve

Last edited by bnizzy; Feb 25, 2008 at 11:49 AM.
bnizzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:05 PM   #22
RollTide
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Alabama
Drying method I used was putting it in front of a fridge or deep freeze over night. the vent at the bottom blows out fairly warm air. Worked on all my cell phones.

Who knew.
__________________
Peter: Fox has one of those new reality shows at eight, "Fast animals, slow children"
RollTide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 09:30 PM   #23
Fimo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty96LSC View Post
A guy I work with forgot to take his 8gb nano out of his pants before washing them. The nano had a wonderful time at the water park, came out, dried off and worked. It did have water droplets inside the screen but the dissipated after a while.
I managed to do this last night to my 2G Ipod Nano, forgot to take it out of my jacket pocket, it went through a 15 minute wash cycle( detergent and all) and a 5 minute rinse cycle, didn't look too good last night, would not turn on, let it dry over night and through the day today, just connected it to my powerbook and lo and behold its back up again, syncing to iTunes as we speak! woo hoo!
Fimo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 09:59 PM   #24
pianoman04
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by youradhere4222 View Post
Okay, it's fully dried, still working, etc.

One problem I'm having is that the battery isn't lasting as it should. I checked the indicator, and it's white.

I didn't buy the extra warranty, how long does it last? Will they replace it, no charge.

Also, I bought it from Best Buy. Do I take it back to Best Buy, or the Apple store?
I had the exact same problem with my Ipod. After I got mine wet, the battery wouldn't charge unless it was connected to a computer. I took it to an apple store and they replaced it with a brand new one. If it's still within the year, you should take it to an apple store if you have one in your area.
pianoman04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:12 AM   #25
Vanderville
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Wet iPod Touch

Yesterday my iPod touch got wet.. i thought it was dead but after it dry i left it connected in the computer.. and suddenly it turn on.. some parts of the touch screen do not work.. sometimes i cant unlock it.. and i think i dont have wi fi anymore.. it still got the warranty.. my question is..can i take it to an apple store with the warranty even if i bought it in another store? im from mexico
Vanderville is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Touch Recognition Issue on iPhone 5, 5th Generation iPod Touch with Rapid Diagonal Swipes MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 355 Jan 3, 2013 03:11 PM
Touch Screen Not Working in my Ipod Touch sanjananb1 iPod touch 3 Dec 27, 2012 10:12 AM
Wet ipod touch.... foreverandalway iPod touch 1 Aug 24, 2012 11:06 PM
Wet iPod yankeesoldier iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 2 Jul 18, 2012 09:04 PM
External Touch Screen Display for iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad. NbinHD iPhone Accessories 2 Jul 2, 2012 12:14 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC