Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faber2001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
just one question because i can't find my way around.

has anyone in UK bought the macbook air (the 1.6ghz model with or without

the apple product product) on credit through apple's web page ?

how much is the monthly payment in british pounds?

thanks

Fuzzbear

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Illinois, USA
just one question because i can't find my way around.

has anyone in UK bought the macbook air (the 1.6ghz model with or without

the apple product product) on credit through apple's web page ?

how much is the monthly payment ?

thanks

It should be as much as humanly possible to pay it off in the quickest amount of time so as not to pay 22% more for it :D

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
If at all possible, go get a Credit Card, and put it on that. Unless your credit is completely shot, the interest rate should be less than 22%.

Honestly, when I saw that ~22% was the best I could do, I used my CC. And I have really good credit.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
If your only choices are:

1. buy a MBA on credit from Apple at 22% interest
or
2. don't buy one at all

I'd say 2 is the only option. No matter what the monthly payments would be, 22% is a rip off.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
If you can't afford an MBA outright, try to find a credit card with a 0% introductory interest rate for 6/12/18 months, then pay it off within the time limit.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
don't ever buy a computer using apple credit. they compound interest daily not monthly

I would expand this to say don't ever buy an APPLE computer using credit. If you can't pay cash, you probably shouldn't be purchasing Apple products, which are aspirationally priced, i.e. a bad value hardware wise.

Unless your career absolutely depends on OSX, either pay cash or make do with a cheaper Windows machine.

Just my humble opinion. Not screwing yourself young will give you the opportunity to purchase all the Mac Pro's you want for cash later.

Same for cars :)

-Allen

Flyer0815

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
PA
I would expand this to say don't ever buy an APPLE computer using credit. If you can't pay cash, you probably shouldn't be purchasing Apple products, which are aspirationally priced, i.e. a bad value hardware wise.

Unless your career absolutely depends on OSX, either pay cash or make do with a cheaper Windows machine.

-Allen

So only the well off or wealthy can buy Apple products and younger people and less privileged need to be locked into windows? Thats an insane and elitist position.
My advise would be to save your money for the machine you want, don't settle for something less. Credit can be your friend at times. Loads of credit card companies offer 0% intro rates for 12-18 months. I do agree that 22% is a complete rip-off. If you don't qualify for a low rate credit card, save your money until you can buy it outright.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
So only the well off or wealthy can buy Apple products and younger people and less privileged need to be locked into windows? Thats an insane and elitist position.
My advise would be to save your money for the machine you want, don't settle for something less. Credit can be your friend at times. Loads of credit card companies offer 0% intro rates for 12-18 months. I do agree that 22% is a complete rip-off. If you don't qualify for a low rate credit card, save your money until you can buy it outright.

I'm not being insane or elitist. It is a bad idea to buy a computer on credit card at 22%. It is a worse idea to buy a more expensive computer on credit card at 22%. That perspective isn't about keeping 'less privileged" people off of OSX.

I'm agreeing with you. Save your money until you can buy it outright. Many of the 'younger / less privileged' people wouldn't qualify for a 0% credit card.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Don't finance depreciating assets... especially something that loses nearly all of its value in a few years.

Just go get a cheapo dell for a few hundred bucks until you can save up the $ for a nice Mac. By then, the macs will be cheaper... and it'll run better when it's not powered by payments :)

prominence

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
If you have good credit, I'm not sure how it works there, but here in the United States I get tons of offers "12 months no interest 0% APR" and "15 months no interest 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers," so I put my MBA on a new credit card and will pay it off within 11 months to avoid any financing charges. :)

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
If you have good credit, I'm not sure how it works there, but here in the United States I get tons of offers "12 months no interest 0% APR" and "15 months no interest 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers," so I put my MBA on a new credit card and will pay it off within 11 months to avoid any financing charges. :)

This can work as long as you are very careful and clear about the terms and conditions. I generally don't recommend this (because the credit companies are just looking for ways to screw you and if you aren't paying attention, they'll hit you with a gotcha!) but it can work.

Just make 100% sure you pay it off a bit early because if they 'forget' to post your payment in time, you'll get hit with all the back interest.

Most of these offers have provisions to nail you under universal default as well - a late payment on any of your credit cards and BAM You are hit with full interest on this one too, and the rate goes up to ~30%. You mailed the payment in? They 'lost' it and didn't apply it in time? Too bad for you!

To quote a favorite, controversial radio host of mine, 'if you play with snakes, you'll get bitten'

-Allen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.