Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocketboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2004
I really love the Take 2 update to Apple TV. We have already rented several movies and the overall product is changing how we think about movies and tv. Everyone in the family is very pleased with the picture quality, the ease of use and the offerings of movies, youtube, podcasts, and tv shows.

Even before the latest update, Apple TV was starting to have a big impact but now with the new interface and no need to use a computer it is even better. First, we now watch better TV shows when we want them. We no longer turn on the tv to randomly browse or use a dvr to record for future use. We buy what we want and have better control over what our kids watch. Old style tv was like radio but now content driven tv is a great. Not only are our viewing habits better but we are also saving money since we cancelled are cable tv and now just use our cable modem.

For TV, we bought an HDhomerun and eyetv. HDhomerun is an ethernet connected dual tuner. It can connect anywhere in your house and allows you to tune in tv. In Chicago, I get 20 HD stations including all the majors which covers most of the sports events

Two great ideas for Apple TV:

1) Add (or hack) eyetv software to the apple tv to be able to play live hd tv from any connected tuner like the hdhome run

2) Apple contract with the sports franchises like NFL, Soccer for the internet showing rights and allow live streaming through the Apple TV.

Either of these would allow the final umbilical cord to overpriced cable tv subscriptions with their 100's of channels of junk. A la carte programming and movies make much more sense then "radio" style tv.

What do you think?

rocketboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2004
Great update or hack idea for Apple TV

the sports could be pay for view or purchased

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
The one and only thing that AppleTV would need to make me cancel my subscription is live sports. I doubt it's at all possible, but as it stands, live sports are the only thing I need to retain my cable subscription for. I think it would be hard for Apple to attain live broadcast rights for sports leagues though.
But yes, I think that your suggestion of co-operating with connected tuners is more likely to be by hacking. I don't think Apple wants you to have regular live cable, it wants you to buy the shows from them instead of live cable.

rocketboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2004
Could pull a honda move

When i was a kid, Honda did not make motorcycles in the US. When they decided to enter the market, everyone laughed. They entered the market with small bikes aimed at kids and moved up with them to bigger machines as they aged.

Right now, Apple could easily get a major "internet" contract with MSL (soccer) and international soccer.

Football, basketball and baseball would be tougher.

I still think a product like hdhome run paired with the apple tv completes the product and allows another ipod like success

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
When i was a kid, Honda did not make motorcycles in the US. When they decided to enter the market, everyone laughed. They entered the market with small bikes aimed at kids and moved up with them to bigger machines as they aged.

Right now, Apple could easily get a major "internet" contract with MSL (soccer) and international soccer.

Football, basketball and baseball would be tougher.

I still think a product like hdhome run paired with the apple tv completes the product and allows another ipod like success

I LOVE this idea and have been thinking about it for a while. However, it will take more than what you said to get anyone in my family to make the switch.....HOCKEY haha :p

But it is a genius idea, and it would be great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.