Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Seriously, I just found out that Publisher 2007 exists. Is it just me or do people just use it because it comes with Office? o_O Seriously...

I don't know anything good about that program other than people automatically have it when buying Office. And even then... I don't think that's a good point.

-_-

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
I don't know anything good about that program other than people automatically have it when buying Office. And even then... I don't think that's a good point.

Publisher actually does a decent job of what it's designed to do; that is, allow simple layout of pages consisting of graphics, text and shapes. I'm pretty sure the intent of Publisher is not to match InDesign or Quark :rolleyes: but to allow for Joe Public to make church or small group newsletters, flyers, and the like. These are people who are never going to pay for a designer anyway.

One thing Publisher does really well is creation of a calendar from a template. We had a guy call my place of employment looking for calendars from 2004 and 2005 (in 2007) - in Publisher, I was able to create those and print them from a laser printer in minutes.

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
Yeah for creating brochures and calendars in a hurry you can't beat Publisher. I'm taking a class right now that focuses solely on Publisher. I just really wish they had a Mac version.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Yeah for creating brochures and calendars in a hurry you can't beat Publisher. I'm taking a class right now that focuses solely on Publisher. I just really wish they had a Mac version.

They do, it's called Pages. Actually, I doubt Pages is as robust... but I've become quite biased at what MS considers 'robust' on a program.

Now, to answer your question with a question, why does Microsoft keep making anything?

I used to work at a website sweatshop and hated it when people would send over their 'websites' on ANY Microsoft product. 'I already designed it in Publisher for ya'. Gag! Clipart! Comic Sans! Oh boy! Aside from the fact that cheap-o sweatshop only had publisher installed on the biggest POS in the building, it was such a hassle to try and use for anything.

It's not as bad as getting a website 'design' they made in Word.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
Publisher is so much quicker for slinging stuff together on - my mums forever asking me to do things for her school class (the bain of being the computer person) and its often quicker to do it in publisher (atleast my mum can use the basics of it) than for me to use something like indesign or photoshop etc

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK

Not if you're planning on having output done at a professional printers ...

Every Publisher job that was ever brought to me had to be re-set from scratch in Quark or InDesign because - surprise - the customer's own Publisher proofs looked lovely on the six-colour inkjet they had at home, but bore no resemblance to normal CMYK output.

After the first few times, we gave up even telling the customer what we were doing and just re-set the job without them ever knowing, because they wouldn't pay the artworking fee.

It may be possible that with the right training, Publisher will produce documents that will hit a RIP without issue and split reliably for CMYK, but I was never fortunate enough to witness such a thing.

Cheers

Jim

bbeers

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
Maryland

I am sorry to hear that. I have never really been a fan of Publisher, but that is probably because I know how to do it the right way in professional programs. I don't mean to sound like a jerk or anything, but the more I see Publisher flyers built by people claiming to know design and call them selves designers the more I dispise Publisher.

If you want to make a church flyer then by all means us publisher, but it is not for publishing designs and layouts.

Sorry went off on a little rant.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I am sorry to hear that. I have never really been a fan of Publisher, but that is probably because I know how to do it the right way in professional programs. I don't mean to sound like a jerk or anything, but the more I see Publisher flyers built by people claiming to know design and call them selves designers the more I dispise Publisher.

If you want to make a church flyer then by all means us publisher, but it is not for publishing designs and layouts.

Sorry went off on a little rant.

Don't apologize for telling the truth...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.