Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:24 PM   #1
Rotary8
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Rotary8
Considering Apple TV but have questions...

I did search and it's a bit much to sort through so I'll ask it.

I plan on using my mac to stream over encoded .mp4 content to the apple TV through Wireless G network. I encoded one of my dvds to a 2.5 gig mp4 file, posted it to itunes where it's shared over a network and ran into this problem: I have another mac to test with and trying to open that movie file took a hell of a long time. As a matter of fact, it didn't open at all, my network status kept showing 3.2 MegaBytes (not bits, I know the difference) and what I was hoping for was instant playback while it's streaming over wifi. Instead after 10 minutes of waiting I finally gave up and wanted to see what you've all experienced.

Does Apple TV have better/smarter streaming of homemade mp4 files (especially larger ones for HD content) or would i have to wait for it to load up the entire damn thing like from mac to mac over itunes?

thanks for the responses,
www.fotoartbyme.blogspot.com
Rotary8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:38 PM   #2
FreeState
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotary8 View Post
Does Apple TV have better/smarter streaming of homemade mp4 files (especially larger ones for HD content) or would i have to wait for it to load up the entire damn thing like from mac to mac over itunes?

thanks for the responses,

I am on wireless N, but have used G before, and both are almost instant on showing streamed HD content that is stored on a Mac (4 gig files). I highly recommend you use Handbreak or Visual Hub to encode them with their built in AppleTV settings.
FreeState is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Rotary8
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Rotary8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeState View Post
I am on wireless N, but have used G before, and both are almost instant on showing streamed HD content that is stored on a Mac (4 gig files). I highly recommend you use Handbreak or Visual Hub to encode them with their built in AppleTV settings.
Cool, I've been using them for my ipod touch and recently started converting my dvds to get ready for apple TV.
www.fotoartbyme.blogspot.com
Rotary8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 08:12 AM   #4
MikieMikie
macrumors 6502a

+ 1 for "g" and "n" networks -- no stuttering, no problems.

H.264 or MP4 files -- it shouldn't matter where they came from, commercial or home-brewed, so long as the bitrate is within reasonable limits.
MikieMikie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater