Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hoofbeat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Hello

I have several highly detailed postscript images which I need to edit (to cut off white space etc) before I incorporate them into a Word Document and I'm unsure how to do it. The images were created using a graphic programming language (IDL) and need to remain in very high definition as they're scientific plots of over 2000+ sets of data.

What software is the best to edit such plots so that I can incorporate them into MS Word? As I only need to be able to do this for about a month I'm ideally looking for something with a 30day free trial or some free software. I've heard Adobe Illustrator's good for editing scientific figures but am not sure whether it's appropriate for postscript files (I presume Adobe Postscript might be better?).

I know Word doesn't support postscript files (though it does support .eps files and I do have access to a postscript printer) so is there any software that would enable me to resave the plots in a suitable format for easy inclusion into MS Word without loss of detail? I have .pdf copies of all of the postscript files (thanks to Preview) but when these are imported into MS Word the resolution goes all fuzzy.

I have absolutely no experience working with postscript files so am rather a beginner at all of this! Thanks for your help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.