Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yotoad

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
I don't own an Apple TV yet, but have a question concerning my setup --

i am planning on syncing photos from an organized pictures folder on my hard drive -- does the Apple TV sync the photos in the subfolders?

yotoad

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Pc

I use Picasa primarily on my PC and I want to know if it will sync photos from a normal hard drive folder rather than iPhoto (which i obviously don't have)

yotoad

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
subfolders

my biggest question is subfolders -- i have one main pictures folder with multiple subfolders -- i want to be able to sync all of my photos on the hard drive

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
i am planning on syncing photos from an organized pictures folder on my hard drive -- does the Apple TV sync the photos in the subfolders?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305139

Apple TV: Syncing Photos via iTunes

• To sync photos from a folder on your hard disk to Apple TV:
  • Drag the images you want into a folder on your computer. If you want images to appear in separate photo albums on Apple TV, create folders inside the main image folder, and drag images into the new folders.
  • In iTunes, select the Apple TV icon in the Devices list.
  • Choose "Sync photos from: ..."
  • Select "Choose Folder" from the pop-up menu and select your image folder.

yotoad

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
incredible

that's great news -- i'm that much closer to picking up the ATV

now i need to figure out if 40gigs is enough for my photo collection needs in the future . . .

$199 refurb is not a bad price . . .

yotoad

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
yes, but doesn't that require adobe photoshop elements or a specific photo application?

* On a Mac, choose iPhoto or Aperture from the pop-up menu.
* On a Windows PC, choose Photoshop Album or Photoshop Elements from the pop-up menu.

i use picasa primarily to organize on my windows machine, hence the need to sync photos from a hard drive folder . . .

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA

Attachments

• 1485349149_94812c3db6.jpg
    1485349149_94812c3db6.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 70

yotoad

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
so basically

so basically what you're saying is i need to buy one and regardless i'll be able to sync/stream whatever i need to!

what do you guys do for photos? sync or stream?

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
so basically what you're saying is i need to buy one and regardless i'll be able to sync/stream whatever i need to!

what do you guys do for photos? sync or stream?

I do a combo right now :) I have some on my .Mac account. I also have some on a Flicker account. I have my main iTunes library with photo's synced (everything else is streamed). I also have some another computers on the network that I have photo's on that I stream :)

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Less $.

I went for more space so I could have access to all my music & photos all the time. My computer doesn't need to be on all the time.

I went the other way - there is $100 difference in price with 120 gigs difference. I can get a 500gig drive for $120 or less new. So for me it would make more sense to get the cheaper and buy an external hard drive. 160gig's would never be enough for me :)

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Another option would be to put your photos on flickr and view them on the apple tv. This would be if you don't want to have your computer on to stream them, or to store them on the apple tv if you sync them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.