Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MazingerZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Ok...I've ordered the Waterfield sleeve/strap. Its well made and looks very nice. Its definitely my sleeve of choice when I go to the cafe or B&N.

Now for travel, I just got the booq bag Slimcase s90. Again, very nice quality but its really not that slim. I understand it was made for the Macbook and not for the air.

I guess what I'm looking for is a vertical case similar to this, for my travel needs.

http://www.tumi.com/backpacks_messe...y_all/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=101703

I hope somebody will be designing a case that will complement the thinness of the MBA, but also have the ability to carry the following. Power adapter, Travel documents and a kindle and maybe a magazine.

The search continues...

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Really the point of an MBA is that it's so thin that it could fit anywhere. So feel free to pop it in a sleeve and throw it into any bag that tickles your fancy.

appleman1974

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2008
How about a Zephyr and a Horizontal Brain Cell (size 6X), from Tom Bihn?

Not cheap, but good quality.

hey this tom bihn is also supposed to be very nice and the brain cell fits inside of there soft sided briefcases and they are very nice also. I travel for work and would not use the tom bihn if you are trying to impress but if you do not care what it looks like it is th best usability wise.

joegomolski

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2006
So CA
I have the Waterfield MBA vertical sleeve. And I also ordered the rings, so I could attach a strap, and carry over my shoulder.

They also sell a piggyback that will snap onto the rings. Large enough for me, and my other stuff. I like to travel light.

All of us old guys really can appreciate the MBA.

chickenninja

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
inside my skull
havent you seen tha macbook air add, its supposed to be mailed in a padded envelope, thats how its ultramobile, you dont even need to carry it, its delivered. but ya know youll get more chicks if carry it around naked, dont forget there are laptop backpacks, which is much better for your back than a shoulder strapp or briefcase type. and their less likely to get stolen

rost12

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
I've received my booq Folee II yesterday, good quality, loads of space, will make a great travel companion.

Note that booq's Vyper XS2 is not a snug fit for the MBA. Better than no sleeve, but hopefully Booq will offer one that's snug.

grafikat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2003
hmm, to stay with the envelope theme for a sleeve (Obviously not a case):

1. Higher end from Timbuku, the "Steve Sleeve" (not yet available)

2. Cheap Vinyl-y thing the "AirMail"

3. Interoffice Mail. Even uglier than 2, made with way too bright yellow cheesy vinyl and nasty yellow zipper

4. Silly home made style with instructions

I may make one based on the Timbuku model, but use velcro for extra security (Red string for show only). I'll hit the fabric store and see if I can find the right material.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
I bought one of these. The MBA fits perfectly, snug but not a tight squeeze. I also have room for any accessories I might need - for example, working onsite with my current client I toss the ethernet dongle, a WD USB drive, iPhone sync cable, micro-dvi adapter, business card holder, and my usb key in the front pockets. Sometimes my Superdrive.

Nice and functional, nice and light, and fits everything I need.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
hmm, to stay with the envelope theme for a sleeve (Obviously not a case):

3. Interoffice Mail. Even uglier than 2, made with way too bright yellow cheesy vinyl and nasty yellow zipper
That one isn't bad but the zipper would scare me as I slid the notebook into it...over the zipper...shudder.

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
I bought one of these. The MBA fits perfectly, snug but not a tight squeeze. I also have room for any accessories I might need - for example, working onsite with my current client I toss the ethernet dongle, a WD USB drive, iPhone sync cable, micro-dvi adapter, business card holder, and my usb key in the front pockets. Sometimes my Superdrive.

I got that one, too. It's perfect for the Air. I love the fake fur inside.

rwnewton

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008

Yesterday, I bought the same bag at the Apple store. It's light, just the right size and holds my MBA securely. I like the bag's small form factor, just like the MBA. It forces me to carry just the basics.

fk51785

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2008
South Florida
Yesterday, I bought the same bag at the Apple store. It's light, just the right size and holds my MBA securely. I like the bag's small form factor, just like the MBA. It forces me to carry just the basics.

Anyone kind enough to provide some pictures of the incase bag with the MBA?? PLZ ??

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
As much as I've always thought a sleeve/bag was just another thing to lug around, it would seem I may get one for my Air. Mine already got 4 beauty marks from throwing it around. All are right on sharp edge of lid. Not bad, just wee little dents/nicks that show the black underbelly. Have drug it through 8 airports already and associated x-ray devices and the edge nicks rather easily. A bag may or may not help me but when a super slim one gets available that will fit in briefcase, I'll give it a try.

In the meantime, I'll get a silver sharpie/gelpen to try and pretty her back up.
My precciioussss.

prasinos

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2008
@MazingerZ:

Could you please give more details about the overall capacity of the Booq Boa Slim Case S90?

I am considering buying one because it looks nice and slim but I am afraid it would be too small for normal usage...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.