Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PIX

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
I noticed that almost half of the MKV files I convert to ATV 5.1 using VirtualHub result in no audio playback. The files that are successful playback on my Denon receiver as Dolby Digital. The problematic files produce no sound either on my 5.1 HT nor is there any audible sound in stereo on my iMac. I notice that the MKV files that are not converting the sound successfully display AUDIO properties in VLC as DTS audio. Anyway to fix this?

billabong

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2004
I noticed that almost half of the MKV files I convert to ATV 5.1 using VirtualHub result in no audio playback. The files that are successful playback on my Denon receiver as Dolby Digital. The problematic files produce no sound either on my 5.1 HT nor is there any audible sound in stereo on my iMac. I notice that the MKV files that are not converting the sound successfully display AUDIO properties in VLC as DTS audio. Anyway to fix this?

It's an issue of going from DTS to DD. You can go from DTS to Stereo though.

darksol360

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2007
MKV to Apple TV Issues

Yep, me too. Some come out with no audio, others come out with audio but the video is jittery... Hope TechSpansion puts out an update for this issue...

MichelleS

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2008
okay i have a question.. im trying to put all o fmy videos together using iMovie. however the format for them was wrong (MPEG-1 muxed) so i bought Visual Hub to convert them because the audio wasnt working in iMovie..
the problem is .. some of them work and some of them dont.. i tried putting them into different formats.. but that doesnt seem to help either.. id like to keep them all in the same format anyway.. i thought maybe it was because of the length of the video's.. but that doesnt seem to be the problme..

i have no clue what is going on... any ideas??

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
The AC3 part of the 5.1 scheme in both VH and HB is called Pass-Thru. Which means there is no encoding done at all. The source audio is simply passed through to the final file untouched. If I understand your question correctly, you are wondering why the DTS track is not played on the atv ? Because the atv does not support DTS audio. Not sure about VH, but in HB you would have to encode the audio DTS trac to Dolby Pro Logic2 in order for the ATV to be able to play it. I doubt there is much VH can do about it. Otoh, maybe I misunderstood your issue.

r12ski

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2008
Solution

I had this problem too. Tyler over at the techspansion forums helped me out.

First: Confirm that your :apple:TV is hooked up to a receiver that can play AC3 audio (aka Dolby Digital, etc).

Second: (This was my problem) You must connect your Apple TV for audio output either via HDMI or via Optical to your receiver. Standard red/white Stereo connectors won't cut it, and you won't hear anything.

FMI: http://www.isquint.org/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=9;t=5238;&#top

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.