Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
Hey All,

I'm having trouble getting my USB modem to work. It said I didn't need to install the software but now I have no idea how to launch the modem. It said to download a patch from Apple (WWAN 1.0) and when I tried it told me that it wasn't compatible with the OS.

I also tried Bluetooth tethering with my Treo 700w and haven't had any luck either.

I would prefer to use the USB modem, but I'm kinda stuck. Any ideas?

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
Hey All,

I'm having trouble getting my USB modem to work. It said I didn't need to install the software but now I have no idea how to launch the modem. It said to download a patch from Apple (WWAN 1.0) and when I tried it told me that it wasn't compatible with the OS.

I also tried Bluetooth tethering with my Treo 700w and haven't had any luck either.

I would prefer to use the USB modem, but I'm kinda stuck. Any ideas?

I just bought that modem today. Installed software from disk at Verizon store on 3 mac laptops. All work fine process was seamless

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
Yea - I am using it now as I write this. It took some time, but I finally got it. I should have known better than to read the manual first. It says in the installation guide not to use software on the disk that OSX has all the drivers it needs. Well - that wasn't the case for me.

So after one EXTREMELY frustrating call to Verizon I almost threw the card out the window. I called back and got someone very helpful. We tried a few things but at the end of the day, I needed the software installed too. Once I installed the software and made a few tweaks in the Network Preferences, I was good to go.

I'm sure you noticed that there are USB 2 dongles at one end of this modem. I have found that my MBA only works with one specific one. I'm not sure why and plan to investigate more.

Anyway, it's working! :)

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
Yea - I am using it now as I write this. It took some time, but I finally got it. I should have known better than to read the manual first. It says in the installation guide not to use software on the disk that OSX has all the drivers it needs. Well - that wasn't the case for me.

So after one EXTREMELY frustrating call to Verizon I almost threw the card out the window. I called back and got someone very helpful. We tried a few things but at the end of the day, I needed the software installed too. Once I installed the software and made a few tweaks in the Network Preferences, I was good to go.

I'm sure you noticed that there are USB 2 dongles at one end of this modem. I have found that my MBA only works with one specific one. I'm not sure why and plan to investigate more.

Anyway, it's working! :)

Yes, I think it the "main" dongle. They told me plugging the second one in gives it more power but I don;t know that. Anyways they are too short to reach on my MacBook Pro anyways. USB's are one on each side. But we installed software on my MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and my wife's macBook. All worked well. We live in rural upstate NY and i was getting 1100kbps down so not bad. We were surfing the net in the car. Have to use the dongle with the Air no choice but can plug it directly into Pro and Book. I wasn't going to take any chances so we drove an hour to verizon store with the computers and had them set everything up. Good luck glad it works.

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
They told me the same thing about the power boost. Seems hokey to me, but heck who knows. I'm in Ohio, you're in NY and we're hearing the same story. If nothing else they are consistent.

I plan on taking the MBA into the store and seeing if one of the other sticks fits better. If so, I'm gonna swap out the one I have for one that connects directly. I hate the idea of having this super sleek laptop and then a large modem and USB cable connected to it while traveling. That seems kind of silly.

I was only getting 180Kpbs on my down and upload speeds. The Verizon guy said that was low and to try it for a few days. I live in an area that doesn't have great Verizon coverage so I plan to take it around with me for a few days to see how it goes. If the speed increases then I'm good to go.

mstngo

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
here is the link to the Verizon Access Manager.

you need you Verizon cell number to download this. It is also modem specific so be sure you get the right one.

http://www.vzam.net/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.