Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Feb 19, 2008, 09:49 PM   #1
hassouni
macrumors member

Mac Mini, w/ USB wireless adapter, no IP address?

I just picked up a first gen Mac Mini with a USB wireless adapter. It set up OK and recognize and connects to the wireless network in my house, but the Network utility says the mini does not have an IP address and can't connect to the internet. What can I do about this?
hassouni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 09:51 PM   #2
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
In System Preferences -> Network is the mini set to obtain its IP address via DHCP? Is there any special software to control the USB wireless? Are you sure it doesn't have an AirPort?

Which first gen Mac mini? G4 or Intel?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 09:57 PM   #3
hassouni
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidorian View Post
In System Preferences -> Network is the mini set to obtain its IP address via DHCP? Is there any special software to control the USB wireless? Are you sure it doesn't have an AirPort?

Which first gen Mac mini? G4 or Intel?
DHCP: yes

G4
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:22 PM   #4
hassouni
macrumors member

Just screwing around, I changed it from DHCP to BootP, which gave me an IP address, but I still couldnt connect. I opened up network diagnostics, and it only supports modem, ethernet, or airport....what can I do!
Old Feb 20, 2008, 12:55 AM   #5
hassouni
macrumors member

update: BootP gave me IP, no internet. Manual DHCP with plugged in IP address works! But, shouldn't automatic DHCP work too?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 01:01 AM   #6
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassouni View Post
update: BootP gave me IP, no internet. Manual DHCP with plugged in IP address works! But, shouldn't automatic DHCP work too?
I'm not sure how OS X is interacting with the USB wireless. You're fine using DHCP and a manually assigned IP address.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 01:05 PM   #7
delver
macrumors newbie

Having the same problems. Help!

I have a mac mini without an airport card. I bought an asus usb wireless adapter to connect to my airport express network, but haven't been able to get it to work. The asus adapter works fine on another network, so I know the problem is with my network. It shows up as connected with a strong signal in the "USB wireless Utility" program.

I'm on sonic.net with a static IP address (I believe) and which uses DHCP. I've tried "Using DHCP with manual address" setting and the IP address that sonic gave me and an address from my netgear router, neither seem to work.

The asus adapter shows up as an ethernet adapter and assigns itself what I understand is an internal Mac IP address if I set it to DHCP (169.254.147.92)

Any ideas?

Thanks!
delver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 01:07 PM   #8
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
You modem has the static address. You still need a router that serves up DHCP/NAT to connected systems.

TEG
Old Feb 25, 2008, 01:27 PM   #9
delver
macrumors newbie

thanks, let me clarify...

I now have the DSL modem connected to a Netgear router, with one line going out to an airport express. If the mac mini is connected by ethernet to the router, it works fine with "Using DHCP" and it gets an IP address of 192.168.0.13

If I put in a manual IP, should it be the same one as above or what?

I also just got off the phone with OWC support and the guy said I should switch my airport express to use a 13 digit ASCII password. I don't have access to the airport express currently, but does this even make sense? I got the hex equivalent for the password and entered it in the USB Wireless Utility and it seems to be connected to the network. Well, I guess it's worth a shot...
delver is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini