Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Once new releases come, we can backtrack to find out where the best information came from... in this case PowerPage provided some of the most accurate details regarding the upcoming TiBook updates...

However... one tipster named Hiro had reported to Macrumors.com on the new iMac and Powerbook back on April 15th.

Here is the entirety of his submission from that time:

...new products announced soon will be iBooks with speed bumps of roughly 100Mhz; new Powerbooks with a new graphics subsystem tthat supports ADC out; and finally a new iMac with a G4 processor and 17" CRT that should retail for around $1000.

2 of 3 correct... which means we should probably expect minor iBook bumps in the near future.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
new iBooks will have a bit more than MHz.

I'm guessing that Apple held off on implementing the iBook bump because they are closer to a final plan for iBook on bluetooth implementation and will release them the second it's read -OR- they decided that they would go ahead and move iBooks up to low-end G4s right at the next PowerBook revision (which by Apple patterns would put PowerBooks up to 933 or 1000 MHz by August unless there is a radical departure like a sudden release of a G5 low power chip--not likely).

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Well if the iBook is rev'ed at MWNY (which seems likely) and the PowerMac is rev'ed at MWNY (which everyone is expecting) that would mean Apple has revapmed it's whole Mac line in the space of a couple of months.

Not a bad effort! I hope we will see more frequent updates... it will do Apple the world of good.

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
Well if the iBook is rev'ed at MWNY (which seems likely) and the PowerMac is rev'ed at MWNY (which everyone is expecting) that would mean Apple has revapmed it's whole Mac line in the space of a couple of months.

Not a bad effort! I hope we will see more frequent updates... it will do Apple the world of good.

Great indeed!!!
That is what Steve promised us some time ago (2001), great new products, ...

And it's not over yet, I guess we'll be seeing some great new Pro line in the the short term future.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by Geert

And it's not over yet, I guess we'll be seeing some great new Pro line in the the short term future.

Lets hope so! I've been holding out since MWSF02 for a new tower, cause that dual 1GHZ is definately (IMO)a teaser. Apple NEEDS the very new and great pro line or all this great stuff that has happened in 2002 will start to fizzle out. I sure hope Motorola doesnt screw up and they realease something great and ship immediatley.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Hey I said Apple would start making Airport standard and everybody told me that was very unlikley. The new TiBook has Airport Cards installed in the Middle and high end line.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Re: Rumor Wrapup - New iBooks?

Originally posted by arn
Once new releases come, we can backtrack to find out where the best information came from... in this case PowerPage provided some of the most accurate details regarding the upcoming TiBook updates...

However... one tipster named Hiro had reported to Macrumors.com on the new iMac and Powerbook back on April 15th.

Here is the entirety of his submission from that time:

...new products announced soon will be iBooks with speed bumps of roughly 100Mhz; new Powerbooks with a new graphics subsystem tthat supports ADC out; and finally a new iMac with a G4 processor and 17" CRT that should retail for around $1000.

2 of 3 correct... which means we should probably expect minor iBook bumps in the near future.

I find this type of post to be among the most valuble on this site. Verification of trusted sources that can be relied upon in the future to give better than average intelligence. Kudos.

The eMac is essentially the mac+ of Y2K. Sweet indeed.

As a Ti-400 owner I can say buyers who get past the >3000 price of the new Ti's will have a great primary computer.

Rocketman

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Rumor Wrapup - New iBooks?

Originally posted by arn

I look forward to seeing if this becomes 3 out of 3 soon. Its really good to know that not everyone is blowing smoke here on MacRumors.

Now if we just had a good G5 rumor.....

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
You know, while boxing up dishes I ran across a Motorola press release from earlier this year in which they predicted very good things for the second half of 2002. The analysts thought the predictions of a profitable 2nd half couldn't be correct, but if Steve is telling us that good things are coming, MWNY sounds like it could be big, and Moto is predicting a profitable second half (not just overall, but specifically in its semiconductor business), then maybe something bigger than a faster G4 is imminent. Maybe. Hopefully.

iH8Quark

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Big Shoulders
Originally posted by mcrain
You know, while boxing up dishes I ran across a Motorola press release from earlier this year in which they predicted very good things for the second half of 2002...Moto is predicting a profitable second half (not just overall, but specifically in its semiconductor business)

Link????

I'm with dukestreet. SHOW ME THE G5! :D ;) :(

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Originally posted by iH8Quark

Link????

I'm with dukestreet. SHOW ME THE G5! :D ;) :(

I'll see what I can find, but like I said, the original is all crumpled up and around a dish right now.

cryptochrome

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2002
The trouble with the eBook is that it's (relatively) expensive and non-mobile. The G4 power is way more than schools need most of the time. I forsee it being as a higher end computer lab computer for doing the fancy and computationally-intensive multimedia stuff like digital photography, video, and layout. This could be complemented by a more day-to-day useful eBook which is:

*very portable - thin and light, but with reasonable screen space and very good screen quality (because it will be used a lot).
*A touchscreen, so that it requires no keyboard, although one can be wirelessly networked via bluetooth.
*very cheap - no more than $700, and sold in bulk
*very durable with long battery life
*sufficiently powerful to handle essential productivity apps, eTextbooks (as PDFs), basic image editing and drawing, and digital video playback. 10gb of local storage on a mini-drive should be sufficient.
*wirelessly networked, very secure. Hacking should be impossible, and theft should be made undesirable and trackable if possible. Vandalism must be prevented somehow. Student use is limited, er guided.
*Directly controlable by the teacher via a special education edition of Desktop Manager. Can be centrally commandeered to display particular materials, and for giving tests (which can be instantly graded, recorded, and analyzed and remotely observed).
*Handles many basic classroom tasks automatically. Datebook actively reminds students of assignments (and other stuff from the syllabus), which they complete on the eBook, which also records how and when they work, which allows teachers to observe and teach good study habits and avoid plagarism. Students/Parents have access to their (extensive) records. Higher-ups (principals and even district supervisors and above) also have access to full records and analysis, and can remotely observe use.
*Is built with a digital library of resources available on-disk or over the wireless network, including dictionaries, encyclopedias, eTextbooks, self-guided study materials, and so forth. Includes productivity apps like calculators and datebooks. Built in spelling, pronunciation, grammar, and typing (and maybe penmanship?) programs analyze ability and actively instruct as necessary.

Sort of an uber-PDA with teacher control. Naturally, a lot of the software would need to be developed and a lot of digital library resources would have to be integrated. But for a truly useful educational computer, this is essential. Otherwise it's just an expensive toy.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by cryptochrome
The trouble with the eBook is that it's (relatively) expensive and non-mobile. The G4 power is way more than schools need most of the time. I forsee it being as a higher end computer lab computer for doing the fancy and computationally-intensive multimedia stuff like digital photography, video, and layout. This could be complemented by a more day-to-day useful eBook which is:

*very portable - thin and light, but with reasonable screen space and very good screen quality (because it will be used a lot).
*A touchscreen, so that it requires no keyboard, although one can be wirelessly networked via bluetooth.
*very cheap - no more than $700, and sold in bulk
*very durable with long battery life
*sufficiently powerful to handle essential productivity apps, eTextbooks (as PDFs), basic image editing and drawing, and digital video playback. 10gb of local storage on a mini-drive should be sufficient.
*wirelessly networked, very secure. Hacking should be impossible, and theft should be made undesirable and trackable if possible. Vandalism must be prevented somehow. Student use is limited, er guided.
*Directly controlable by the teacher via a special education edition of Desktop Manager. Can be centrally commandeered to display particular materials, and for giving tests (which can be instantly graded, recorded, and analyzed and remotely observed).
*Handles many basic classroom tasks automatically. Datebook actively reminds students of assignments (and other stuff from the syllabus), which they complete on the eBook, which also records how and when they work, which allows teachers to observe and teach good study habits and avoid plagarism. Students/Parents have access to their (extensive) records. Higher-ups (principals and even district supervisors and above) also have access to full records and analysis, and can remotely observe use.
*Is built with a digital library of resources available on-disk or over the wireless network, including dictionaries, encyclopedias, eTextbooks, self-guided study materials, and so forth. Includes productivity apps like calculators and datebooks. Built in spelling, pronunciation, grammar, and typing (and maybe penmanship?) programs analyze ability and actively instruct as necessary.

Sort of an uber-PDA with teacher control. Naturally, a lot of the software would need to be developed and a lot of digital library resources would have to be integrated. But for a truly useful educational computer, this is essential. Otherwise it's just an expensive toy.
Sounds a little too BIG BROTHERish for my tastes. Also sounds extremely expensive, no where near the $700 price target. At least not right now. Maybe in 2 years or so.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
It's really nice to see that some of the info coming in is from people who know, not just "I like Macs and this is what I want and so Apple will definitely make this..."
Any word on the G5? 'cause I really want one and so Apple should definitely make one. quick. and fast.

Thanks Hiro, and Arn. Keep it up and you'll have to call this MacInfo.com.

cryptochrome

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2002
Originally posted by ftaok
Sounds a little too BIG BROTHERish for my tastes. Also sounds extremely expensive, no where near the $700 price target. At least not right now. Maybe in 2 years or so.

This isn't a personal computer, it's an educational device. It's no more Big Brother-ish than being legally obliged to go somplace every day where you do what you're told and the people in charge monitor your every move and actively trying to mold the way you think. In other words, it would be Big Brotherish if it weren't kids, but this is an essential part of learning and earning those rights and responsibilities of adults.

The key to it being cheap (and that is essential) is twofold - strip it down to the bare (and consistent) essentials, and manufacture in bulk. The eBook I'm suggesting would be little more than a touchscreen, a battery, a 10gb hard drive, a low-end all-in-one processor and graphics unit (and 3D is unnecessary), a firewire/power port, a usb port (maybe), a headphone jack, and an airport/bluetooth subsystem with antenna. The most expensive parts would be the touchscreen (which will be used a lot and has to be easy to look at for long periods), battery, and drive, and those could be brought down in price (particularly with new technology). A computer useless for anything but school-mediated education to deter theft, in a polycarbonate case designed to be water-resistant, marking-resistant, and not easily opened.

The software would be OS X w/o classic, with an optimized/stripped down Quartz subsystem, and involving a replacement for the Finder with a more tailored interface (the desktop would be too screen hungry and difficult to work with - automatic workspace organization would be good) and well-integrated apps. It should also be able to be installed on any superior computer, namely iBooks, eMacs, and iMacs. Apple would need to negotiate to purchase the rights to and port the digital library resources.

Like game consoles, the specs may be far less than what you could do, but very consistent and doing everything you need, allowing bulk manufacture for a relatively low price. And aside from perhaps quartz (the current incarnation) and mpeg4 (could be standardized with hardware decoders), these devices would require less power than a console. Ideally, with the amount of money saved on paper, books, and paperwork they should cut down on operational expenses, and free educators to do more important things. They should be meant to last and produced for many years, with warranty, upgrade, and repair programs to back it up. Later models of the device should be built with being cheaper and more useful rather than more powerful, and backwards compatibility should be assured.

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
New Emac

They seem cool. But, I rather wait for a new tower. I also think later they will take the place of the old imac. I'm wondering if they are going to make istereo for the ipod. It would be a stereo that you just drop the ipob into. Hiro keep up with great updates.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
I can't help but remember a blurb about IBM PPC chips and an Alti-Vec contender called SIMD they are developing. Does anyone remember this or know anything about it?

peteMG

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Originally posted by mcrain
You know, while boxing up dishes I ran across a Motorola press release from earlier this year in which they predicted very good things for the second half of 2002.
You find Motorola press releases in your kitchen shelves? Sounds like their marketing department needs some training ;)

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Originally posted by peteMG

You find Motorola press releases in your kitchen shelves? Sounds like their marketing department needs some training ;)

No, no, no... I was boxing dishes to move, and to protect them, I wrap them in newspapers. I had a pile of Wall Street Journals, and one of the sheets had an article on Motorola's optimistic profit forecasts for the second half of 2002 in its semi-conductor business. I of course can't find the original article (it's in a box), and I can't find a link to it.

Oh well, c'est la vie.

RecTechMin

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2002
cryptochrome,
you're insane. kid's have rights too. way too often overlooked, might i add. parents have been ****ing over the younger generation since the dawn of time -- it's no wonder everybody's so screwed up. what you're saying is kid's don't have the right to think for themselves, the right to privacy, the right to choose. hell, if your Big Brother Mentality was actually enstated my guess is 1) these kid's would grow up to be complete morons 2) there would be a lot more Columbine-like attacks 3) it would create a world i would want no part of. after reading your post, it made me want to vomit. peace!

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
motorola and apple

hey, remember the "no new cpus" statement a while back?

well, apple release new products like the 10GB iPod and the eMac, using EXISTING tech, whilst (hopefully) catching it's breath with Motorola, allowing a MWNY02 release of 1 - 1.4 Ghtz Towers, shipping immediately.

now, as they ship immediately, the supplies are coming in for the late/autumn/early winter collection of towers, with a ready suppy of 1.4 - 1.8 Ghtz whoppers.

Then the G5, but as we know, that's another story!!!

H

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
You Americans already live in a big brother state and you are all stupid. So monitoring on eBooks will not make any difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.