Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarauderFox79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Although I have had my macbook for almost a year and a few years ago I had an old ibook (remember those? haha) I still, unfortunately consider myself a mac newbie. I love my mac, I would never return to a PC with windows, but theres one thing I miss from my windows days. Disk Cleanup.

I have a macbook with an 80 gig hard drive, and I have filled it up. I have an external hard drive which I use, but I can't bring it everywhere I go, and as I currently only have about 7 gig left on my internal hard drive, I'd like to free up space. I'm 90% sure I have at least 10 gig worth of useless junk (old files, temporary files etc.) on my computer, but I cant figure out where and what to delete. Is there any way to do a disk clean up to free up some space?

dj420118

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
You'll be surprised how much is stored in the Caches folder under your library folder...i once cleared over a gig of stuff out of there. Also when you delete applications out of the applications folder some of their "support files" stay behind on your computer and continue taking up space. The "application support" folder is under the library as well and you can go and delete stuff from within there.

montycat

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2007
Florida
Are there any problems associated with removing languages. I thought I read somewhere this could happen. MC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.