Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VitaminC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Following a fresh installation of mac OSX on my new iMac, I went to the disk utility to check how much space i have. I was suspicious since in my previous installation I was missing some 30 GB of HD. Anyways, I go to my disk utilities and I am having the same problem. The capacity comes up to be 298 GB when I am supposed to have 320 GB of space. The available space to me right now is 270 something which is really strange, it means I am missing 50 off GB of space.

I have searched around and people seem to be recommending a tool called whatsize, apart from that does anybody know what the problem might be?

So far this has been the first problem (hopefuly not!) that I saw in my iMac, otherwise the machine has been superb!

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    533.4 KB · Views: 179

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
UK
my iMac arrived saying it had 298gb, that is just because of the formatting, same on all hard drives, and all OSs i think,

as for the other 30gb, that is a bit strange....

...if i remember correctly leopard took up about 6... but i really cant think where else your space could have gone...

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Well a 320GB hard drive should yield about 298GiB. Hard Drives are advertised with each division equaling 10^3 (1000), the system reports the volume in binary divisions that are 2^10 (1024), so your size is normal.
The rest of the "missing" space is taken up with software.

The new convetion is to assume always the GB uses the mathmatical meaning of the words (GB = 10^9) and GiB using the binary value (GiB = 2^30).

TEG

VitaminC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Uploaded a screen caption of the situation.

I have not downloaded anything of significance yet as I have just finished formating and installing the OS a couple of hours ago.

How big is the OS with all the programs that come pre-loaded?

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
You don't get the advertised capacity...this has been discussed a ton. Also, you probably didn't remove unnecessary OS components such as languages and pinter drivers? Those take up a lot of space.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
HD manufactuers say that 320 GB = 320 000 000 000 bytes

However computers interpret 1GB as (1024^3) bytes

thus 320 000 000 000 / (1024^3) = 298.02GB which is what your computer reports to be the size of your hard drive

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Missing HD Space

Everyone is correct, the advertised space is not what you get. Just how it works and the larger the drive the less the space.

As to the size of Leopard it is I believe around 9 gigs plus all of the other apps. that are on the machine at the time of the upgrade and some of the old OS files

If you are subtracting the 298 from the 320, that's 12 gigs plus around 9 gigs for Leopard and all the other apps and old OS would probably come up to the amount you are missing.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
the total capacity is 298 GB as its shown as binary. after formatting its 297.77 GB (rounded up to 297.8 on your yellow note). the minimum space required for a retail Leopard install is 9 GB (doesnt include iLife) which leaves 288.8 GB free. the other 12.4 GB used would be iLife which came with your iMac and the other programs you installed like Office, VLC, Azureus and any others.

did you do an archive and install? if so you will have a previous system folder in Macintosh HD. you can trash it if you like.

also just out of a a few observations from the screen shot. dont run applications out of the disk image. drag the application from the disk image to the applications folder. this applies for zip files too. and for screenshots:

command-shift-3 - whole screen
command-shift-4 - crosshair for custom size (then hold shift, option or command afterwards for different dimensions.)
command-shift-4 then space - application window

VitaminC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
did you do an archive and install? if so you will have a previous system folder in Macintosh HD. you can trash it if you like.

No, I have done an "Erase and Install". Please check the attachment and see if it looks out of order, it certainly looks too big for system files only (save a gig).

Thanks alot for the screenshot advice, I really had no clue what to do as I was thinking to myself: hmmmm, I think a screencap will explain everything to them, and I went looking for the screenshot button up and down my keyboard :D

Thanks alot for the disk image advice too. So I just drag whatever I download to applications and then get rid of the original? is that right? because everytime I try and do that, as I am dragging the image file to the trashbin it changes to an eject button, and then tells me I cant do it.

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 66

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
System looks fine, mine is 3.4 GB. the system folder houses all the OS X files. to slim it down you could of unchecked the printer drivers, extra languages, extra fonts etc in the Mac OS X installer. you can use monolingual to remove all the extra languages (only use the languages tab!) and delete the extra printer drives in /Library/Printers or home/Library/Printers.

if you dont use GarageBand you can slim down the main Library by deleting the Apple Loops from /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Apple Loops.

this is all of course if you want to slim down your install even more.

usr, bin & sbin contain the unix files and the two mach files are the kernel. private contains your swap file whose size depends on how much RAM you have.

your users folder looks alright. that all depends on if theres another user other than you. theres not that much you can do to slim it down other than deleting you documents, music etc.

but it looks like a pretty standard install size to me.

to install an app from a disk image open it, drag the app to the applications folder, eject the disk image and trash it. look here for more info

chlear909

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
This works perfectly

This all happened to me and apple support call 3 times said it was app files ???.

I got the free ONYX program, checked on hidden files, and there was a 100GIG 18 month old file.

Deleted it ,gained 100Gigs instantly of my 256gig drive,crazy

Omnidisc 'did not' show the 100 GIG file

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.