Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:11 AM   #1
robrose20
macrumors 6502

Duplicates in Itunes

Hi,

I recently consolidated my Itunes library and for some reason all of my music was imported twice and I have duplicates on about 65 gb of music. Is there a way to automatically purge your itunes library of duplicated? Or do I have to go and delete each one individually.

Thanks!
IPhone 3G 16Gb Black
robrose20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:13 AM   #2
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrose20 View Post
Hi,

I recently consolidated my Itunes library and for some reason all of my music was imported twice and I have duplicates on about 65 gb of music. Is there a way to automatically purge your itunes library of duplicated? Or do I have to go and delete each one individually.

Thanks!
Pretty easy, actually. Go to View > Show Duplicates.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:18 AM   #3
sreedy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to sreedy Send a message via Skype™ to sreedy
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusTheKing View Post
Pretty easy, actually. Go to View > Show Duplicates.
Last time I tried that it showed both tracks, i.e. the one you want to keep and the duplicate. So you can't just do a "select all" and then delete otherwise you lose both.

I had this on a small number of tracks (about 100) and used the suggested Show Duplicates and then had to click on the 100 so and delete...... there must be a better way to do this that I have missed as I am sure you don't to do that on 65 GB.

If this turns out to be the only way, I'd delete everything and then re-import once!

Last edited by sreedy; Feb 21, 2008 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Clarity!
sreedy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:29 AM   #4
phairphan
macrumors 6502

Without knowing the particulars, can't you just show duplicates and then sort by date? Presumably the duplicates would all have the same date added. You could then delete all of the files with that date. Or, since you consolidated your library, perhaps you want to keep the new entries and delete the old ones. The same process works for both scenarios.
phairphan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 07:44 PM   #5
Rahsten
macrumors regular

I have the same problem. Everytime I import mp3s to iTunes it makes duplicates. I use show duplicates and you have to manually click on each duplicate to select and delete them.

I've tried deleting all and re-importing but it duplicates them all again. I've tried using, Add to Library, Import and even selecting in Finder and dropping all files on the iTunes icon...all 3 methods keep producing dublicates, it's really annoying.

Does this happen to everyone? Why? How can I stop it from happening?

Thanks.
Camera: Rebel DSLR
Rahsten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 01:00 AM   #6
simcitybabe
macrumors newbie

Here’s how i did it.
i showed my “duplicates” and then organized them so they showed me the date added (date added tab). At least with my computer it had copied my library after the entire first copy was created. so i picked the first song, then clicked down till i found a repeat of it. then i deleted all the highlighted songs in one go. its a lot simpler then deleting them one by one. i had to do this about 5 times but it only took me about 10 minutes altogether, and really what’s 10 minutes?
my computer got rid of 1225 songs in less then 2 mins, so its not like deleting large amounts of songs takes hours.

hope that helps
simcitybabe is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store