Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Feb 22, 2008, 02:45 AM   #1
dopey220
macrumors 6502

Help with indenting a bulleted list in InDesign CS3?

This image, mocked up in Photoshop, explains what I need.

In case it matters, the list was made by using the "bulleted list" option in the paragraph styles dialog box.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 03:22 AM   #2
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Now, I know many people use tabs to do this sort of aligning, but it's not the right way to do things, because if copy reflows for whatever reason, you've got all these irritating tab characters where you don't need them. So yeah, bad practice.

So, it's the same command as it is in Quark for an 'indent to here' character.

Set the cursor in the text in the line above where you want the following text to align to and then go to Menu: Type>Insert Special Character>Other>Indent to here... or the identical keyboard shortcut in Quark as well is: Command + \

Note that all copy that is in the same paragraph will then align to that mark; its viewable by Show Hidden Characters, right at the bottom of the Type menu. Any copy in the same paragraph that is nudged on with a soft return will also align; it takes a hard return to start a new paragraph where you can set new indents.
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 07:14 AM   #3
Jim Campbell
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post
Now, I know many people use tabs to do this sort of aligning, but it's not the right way to do things, because if copy reflows for whatever reason, you've got all these irritating tab characters where you don't need them. So yeah, bad practice.
I don't like the "indent to here" (as I understood it in Quark - never used it in InDesign) and prefer a combination of tab setting, paragraph indent and a minus value for the first line.

Is it wrong that I have to be physically restrained from killing people with a brick when I see them aligning text with multiple tabs or - better yet - spaces?

There's even a perfectly serviceable "Hanging Indent" feature in Word for chrissake!

People look at you like you've just turned water into wine when you show them that one ...

Cheers!

Jim

Last edited by Jim Campbell; Feb 24, 2008 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Typo. What Else?
Jim Campbell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 08:24 AM   #4
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Campbell View Post
I don't like the "indent to here"
Since it's a superfast keyboard command that inserts an invisible formatting character into the copy that can't be overridden by any subsequent paragraph formatting, it's ideal for the job. That's what it's there for.
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 08:39 AM   #5
arkitect
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Lots of good info.

Thanks! I have forever been tabbing away…
The things you learn on MacRumors.

Quote:
Is it wrong that I have to be physically restrained from killing people with a brick when I see them aligning text with mutliple tabs or - better yet - spaces?
Oh, steady on! Some of us have other skills. We're not all trained Graphic Designers!

Last edited by arkitect; Feb 22, 2008 at 08:52 AM.
arkitect is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 08:45 AM   #6
tersono
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Is it wrong that I have to be physically restrained from killing people with a brick when I see them aligning text with mutliple tabs or - better yet - spaces?Jim
ROFLMAO!!!!

I feel your pain.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 08:56 AM   #7
Jim Campbell
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Since it's a superfast keyboard command that inserts an invisible formatting character into the copy that can't be overridden by any subsequent paragraph formatting, it's ideal for the job. That's what it's there for.
I like neatness and numbers. I can't help myself.

There's something about the para settings being -- Tab: 10mm Indent: 10mm First Line: -10mm -- that appeals to the part of my brain that clearly has OCD, because tabs, indents or whatever set to 9.723mm because they've been done by eye drive me absolutely potty.

I'm not saying that it's better ... I'm not even going to try and claim that it's rational, but I can't bring myself to do it any other way.

Cheers!

Jim

Last edited by Jim Campbell; Feb 22, 2008 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Typo.
Jim Campbell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:08 AM   #8
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
Maybe I'm missing something here, but when I make a bulleted list in ID (which is, admittedly, pretty rare), I just click the bulleted list button and the text automatically aligns itself like the second example. If you want to tweak how far the text is from the bullets, or how far the bullets indent, you can use the Tabs window or the Bullets and Numbering Options pallet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bulletexample.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	104403  
IgnatiusTheKing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:17 AM   #9
dopey220
macrumors 6502

Thanks, guys. 'Preciate it.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics