Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t56camaro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
DFW/ATX
I've got a chance to buy a virtually brand new eMac, with all its accessories. Its got the 1 ghz G4 processor, 80 gig hd, a dvdrw burner, 768 mb of ram, and (I'm told) leopard. I'm getting it for $50, out the door. I know the system is pretty outdated, but I'm just a Windows guy looking for a Mac to use as a dedicated media computer for burning and organizing my music and video libraries for smooth syncing with an iphone. And I just kind of like the idea of getting a new toy to play with. So, worth the price for my purpose?

dibara2003

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2007
Hawaii!
I've got a chance to buy a virtually brand new eMac, with all its accessories. Its got the 1 ghz G4 processor, 80 gig hd, a dvdrw burner, 768 mb of ram, and (I'm told) leopard. I'm getting it for $50, out the door. I know the system is pretty outdated, but I'm just a Windows guy looking for a Mac to use as a dedicated media computer for burning and organizing my music and video libraries for smooth syncing with an iphone. And I just kind of like the idea of getting a new toy to play with. So, worth the price for my purpose?

it's worth the price, but i'd think you'd want something more if it's going to be a dedicated media computer. a used mac mini would suit you better. good price, you should just buy it to play around with anyways

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
$50 is an absolute steal. May as well buy it anyway - it's got pretty much the same specs as my main computer (12" PB G4 1GHz) so will be absolutely fine.

Just check it works first :D

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
$50? with Leopard? good deal....you could probably buy it and resell it for more

Flyer0815

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
PA
50 bucks is a steal! We have a bunch of these in my school, and they hold up pretty well.. even with being constantly abused by kids.

While its old technology, its still a sweet deal... Deff buy it!

TopGear300

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2007
Do It!

The eMac was a decent machine. It just could never impress as much as the sunflower iMac at the time or a PowerBook.

Who doesn't like a new toy?? It will run ok and will let you sync an iPhone with ease.... make sure it works then go for it!!!

In case you haven't noticed... Leopard out of the box is $129 so you are getting a whole machine and Leopard at %40 Cheaper!! No Brainer

macffooky

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
The 51st State
Grab with both hands and run but if you want to spend anything on it after purchase, upping it to a gig of RAM would oil the wheels perceptibly, especially with Leopard.

t56camaro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
DFW/ATX
Posting this from my new eMac. New to me anyway, the "pristine" condition of it was played up a little, and its definitely been used. But other than the speakers not working, its pretty solid. And it came with Leopard and the increased amount of memory as promised, so I'd say worth my $50.

deniser

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
Cornwall, England
Posting this from my new eMac. New to me anyway, the "pristine" condition of it was played up a little, and its definitely been used. But other than the speakers not working, its pretty solid. And it came with Leopard and the increased amount of memory as promised, so I'd say worth my $50.

Congratulations !!!

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
If i'm not mistaken, the 1 GHz models have only USB 1.1. AFAIK they started shipping with USB 2.0 with 1.25 GHz models, so that could make syncing with iPhone s l o w.

Spievy

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2002
Virginia

Spievy

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2002
Virginia
That being said for $50.00 that emac is a steal. Buy it and enjoy it. Just keep in mind that the syncing via usb will be slow. Also, you might want to keep Tiger 10.4 on that machine. My experience with 1.0GHz G4 are pretty laggy with Leopard 10.5.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
If i'm not mistaken, the 1 GHz models have only USB 1.1. AFAIK they started shipping with USB 2.0 with 1.25 GHz models, so that could make syncing with iPhone s l o w.
... Though I wouldn't be discouraged by this (clearly you have the Mac already so it's a moot point but...). Though 1.1 is slow, remember in general that there's usually just the first large sync that occurs when you first connect the phone and Mac, after that, generally you're just adding/ erasing much smaller numbers of files (though if you're trading movies around it will still take awhile). Plug it in in the morning, get an idea of how long it will take, go to work, done. Speed also depends on your phone; a 4GB one will fill faster than a 16GB phone (assuming you have +4GB of media).

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
Don't let the slower USB connection bug you. I still sync my iPod on a 1.1 connection (older iMac). Yeah it's slower than on my MBP, but it gets the job done.

A good machine for a great price. Congratulations on your find!

t56camaro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
DFW/ATX
Yeah, I knew it was just going to be usb 1.1 when I bought it. After thinking more about it I'll probably just stick with syncing on my windows machine (that's where all my files are anyway), and just keep the mac to see where it goes. As for leopard on the 1 ghz, it seems to be running pretty smooth, the loading delay for opening programs isn't more than a few seconds.

vultureboy70

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2006
San Francisco
Congratulations!!! That's a steal! You could turn around and sell it for at least $200-$250. I have similar eMac, 1.25 Ghz, USB 2.0 still going strong, almost 4 years old. But paid roughly $1300!!! I'm happy for you, but crying inside....:)

Spievy

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2002
Virginia
Leopard isn't to bad on the 1ghz emacs. My dad has one upstairs. :D

I am starting to think it depends on system config. My PB G4 1GHz is slow as molasses in leopard. However my wife's ibook G4 1.42GHz is very snappy. Difference other than processor is iBook has "core image accelerated". (See Sig)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.