Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Feb 22, 2008, 03:03 PM   #1
mrklaw
macrumors 6502a

is there a quick way to test if videos will play on appleTV before syncing/converting

? - just ran out of space before the question mark

so, as the question says really. I have a folder full of videos - about 55GB worth which - if I have to - I'll convert to appleTV compatible formats. But they are a mix of different formats, some .avi, some .mp4, some .wmv. They all play in VLC.

Is there any way to test which ones will sync/play directly on appleTV? I know I'll have to convert some of them, but I'd like to reduce that list down as much as possible.
mrklaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 03:08 PM   #2
alexprice
macrumors 6502a

I don't know, but if you use Visualhub to convert them, then you select the 'AppleTV' preset to ensure it'll work on the AppleTV

Visualhub works perfectly and so far for me its done it everytime.
alexprice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 04:27 PM   #3
roland.g
macrumors 603

Select one of each file type and add it to your iTunes library and see if they play on the Apple TV. Use the preference to copy files to library preserving the original in its original location.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater