Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mokeyboy128

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Today unfortunately i dropped my brand new ibook g4 (just bought it off of ebay so its new to me). After the tragic fall the screen of the ibook has become damaged. It no longer stands up and flops all around. You can see wires coming from the screen and the plastic is broken around it. But the screen still does turn on and works well. Im actually typing this up with the ibook and propping the screen up with some books

I was wondering how much it would cost me to repair the screen and or replace the screen if i brought it to the apple store. I was reading some old forum posts from 2005 about this same question and the guy said it costed him 750 dollars to replace the screenr. Is this still the case? I do no want to buy a screen off ebay because i have to clue how i would repair all this myself.

please help!!

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
I would guess that Apple will charge you more than the iBook is worth to repair it. You can always take it in for a guesstimate, but there are other aftermarket folks who do screen repairs for far less than Apple, and their parts and guarantees are the same, if not better.

I would have to do some digging to get names, but I'm sure others who post to the thread will have them.

By chance do you have homeowner's insurance? It might cover this.

MacDann

mokeyboy128

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
I do have home owners insurance but i'm not sure if it covers things like this.

Does anyone have any other places that do repairs besides apple itself?
Im willing to pay up to $200 dollars for a screen repair, ughh but $500 bucks i paid for the ibook + $200 + for repair = $700, $300 more and i could have just bought the macbook, lame

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
I do have home owners insurance but i'm not sure if it covers things like this.

Does anyone have any other places that do repairs besides apple itself?
Im willing to pay up to $200 dollars for a screen repair, ughh but $500 bucks i paid for the ibook + $200 + for repair = $700, $300 more and i could have just bought the macbook, lame

Why not call your agent and find out?

With a quick Google search, I found the following places:

WegenerMedia

TechRestore

PowerBook Medic

In all honesty, you're pretty well stuck if you're going to pay someone to do it. Looks like parts alone are going to run you in the neighborhood of $300.

Ouch.

MacDann

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.