Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qwerty2k

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
Hi, i was previously coding a project in Linux using CodeBlocks, it is using boost, guichan gui library and sdl as a backend. Ive imported my project into XCode and put all the required libraries etc into the project.

However im getting some compile errors.

the errors are in the complex numbers standard c++ header:

error: 'snprintf' is not a member of 'std'
error: '__pow_helper' is not a member of 'std'

Now these are standard c++ headers, i haven't altered any of them so i am at a loss as to why they won't compile.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
error: 'snprintf' is not a member of 'std'
error: '__pow_helper' is not a member of 'std'

Looks like it's namespace resolution related - your default namespace seems to be set to std (using namespace std) and the C functions are part of global namespace specified explicity by prefixing :: to the function.

So try using ::snprintf and the like and see if that resolves the errors.

qwerty2k

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
how can i open the file as an admin because its in an area a normal user can't edit (also in the file there are lots of references to functions prefixed with std:: and it doesn't error out on any of them)

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Ok, I missed the part about the error being in standard headers.

Can you #include <cstring> *before* #including the standard header which gives you the snprintf error and see?

qwerty2k

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
didn't work, gave me even more errors, the fsprintf errors are now in c++locale.h in the following bit of code:

#ifdef _GLIBCXX_USE_C99
const int __ret = std::snprintf(__out, __size, __fmt, __prec, __v);
#else
const int __ret = std::sprintf(__out, __fmt, __prec, __v);
#endif

i was thinking maybe its to do with gcc4? since iirc on ubuntu when i was coding i was compiling with gcc3?

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
i was thinking maybe its to do with gcc4? since iirc on ubuntu when i was coding i was compiling with gcc3?

Yeah - sounds like some weird gcc/libstdc++ bug. But before I give up I have one last thing for you to try - #include <cstdio> and #include <cstdarg> in the files where you use snprintf - that _should_ get rid of the snprintf error I think.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
thank you for your suggestions, however the error still occurs :(

Hmm I am intrigued - do you have a reduced test case - like may be just copy the failing part of the code and create a standalone header and .cpp to reproduce this? If so post the .h/.cpp here and I will try to see what's going on.

What version of gcc (gcc -v) are you compiling this under?

Nerdcoder

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2006
Found a solution

Hi digging around for a solution, I found a comment suggesting that using the recursive checkbox i include paths was the problem.

It was!.. Strange...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.