Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:00 PM   #1
Techsavyfreak
macrumors member

Difference between Secure empty trash and empty trash?

What is the difference between these two, and why does secure empty trash take sooo much longer to empty than normal empty trash?
Techsavyfreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:02 PM   #2
Tallest Skil
Banned

Because it's secure. I think it does either a one-pass or seven-pass overwrite of where the data you deleted was stored for protection.
Tallest Skil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:03 PM   #3
EricNau

The data sectors being erased are over-written with zeros to ensure the data is truly gone (as opposed to a normal empty trash where the data is only marked to be overwritten, and could be recovered).
EricNau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:03 PM   #4
iTim314
macrumors 6502

From what I understand, Secure Empty Trash will write random 1s and 0s over where the data was previously physically placed on the drive so the data is unrecoverable.
iTim314 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:04 PM   #5
jmadlena

Empty Trash just tells the OS that these files can be written over at a later date. They aren't actually deleted (read overwritten) until the OS needs to put something there.

Secure Empty Trash actually deletes the file right there by overwriting it with 0's, I believe. And in Disk Utility you can overwrite it 1, 7, or 35 times I believe for security purposes.

This might just be a very simple way of looking at it. Someone please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:04 PM   #6
Techsavyfreak
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNau View Post
The data sectors being erased are over-written with zeros to ensure the data is truly gone (as opposed to a normal empty trash where the data is only marked to be overwritten, and could be recovered).
Are the trash files added in time machine? if they are, if you secure empty trash, would that erase them from time machine?
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:11 PM   #7
iTim314
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsavyfreak View Post
Are the trash files added in time machine? if they are, if you secure empty trash, would that erase them from time machine?
Interesting question. I've pondered this myself.

Do some searching on the Apple Discussion forums and see what you can find.
iTim314 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:11 PM   #8
EricNau

Quote:
No, deleting files from your system will not delete them from Time Machine. I don't believe Secure Empty Trash makes a difference in this case.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:11 PM   #9
Techsavyfreak
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmadlena View Post
Empty Trash just tells the OS that these files can be written over at a later date. They aren't actually deleted (read overwritten) until the OS needs to put something there.

Secure Empty Trash actually deletes the file right there by overwriting it with 0's, I believe. And in Disk Utility you can overwrite it 1, 7, or 35 times I believe for security purposes.

This might just be a very simple way of looking at it. Someone please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.
So, would that mean that all those files are still taking up space on my hard drive?
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:13 PM   #10
Tallest Skil
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmadlena View Post

You're absolutely right. Disk Utility can even wipe an entire drive 1, 7, or 35 times if you have sensitive data (corporate files, government papers, etc.) on it and need a replacement.
Tallest Skil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:15 PM   #11
teleromeo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
So, would that mean that all those files are still taking up space on my hard drive?
there is still data on your hard drive but there is no longer a reference in the file that catalogues your hard drive.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:15 PM   #12
EricNau

Quote:
Technically the data is still there, but it is still available space (i.e. it is free to be overwritten).

It's no different with Secure Empty trash, but instead of the original data it's random data.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:18 PM   #13
Techsavyfreak
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNau View Post
Technically the data is still there, but it is still available space (i.e. it is free to be overwritten).

It's no different with Secure Empty trash, but instead of the original data it's random data.
Ok, thanks. I'm just curious though, how could you recover those files that you emptied from the trash?(not secure empty)
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:01 PM   #14
EricNau

Quote:
Ok, thanks. I'm just curious though, how could you recover those files that you emptied from the trash?(not secure empty)
You would have to download a third party app (usually for a fee), or hire a professional data recovery agency.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X