Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superspiffy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Do you think it's possible (when they release the SDK) that phone companies would released adapters to the iPod Touch that would allow it to get internet using their networks? Wouldn't it be great to have the option of being able to connect anywhere even if you have to pay for subscription? This takes care of the people who really can't switch to AT&T and buy an iPhone but want to be able to connect online everywhere with their iPod Touch.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
If you like extremely slow and expensive service, this would be great for you. But do you seriously think that AAPL would allow this. They control the show, even with the SDK. This won't ever happen. People seem to think that just because the iPhone has something that the iPod touch deserves it too...

superspiffy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
If you like extremely slow and expensive service, this would be great for you. But do you seriously think that AAPL would allow this. They control the show, even with the SDK. This won't ever happen. People seem to think that just because the iPhone has something that the iPod touch deserves it too...

What's wrong with having the choice anyway? Verizon's CDMA network is not that bad. I'm not asking for 3G speeds all the time when I'm on the road and want to check my email, check out a few articles and surf a little bit. What are the actual chances of such an adapter being released?

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
What's wrong with having the choice anyway? Verizon's CDMA network is not that bad. I'm not asking for 3G speeds all the time when I'm on the road and want to check my email, check out a few articles and surf a little bit. What are the actual chances of such an adapter being released?
Like I said, Apple will still run the show even with the SDK. They won't allow anything like this to come into the market as it would compete with the iPhone. I would say that it is very unlikely to happen.

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
Yeah I totally agree, adapters are really not what will happen.

I think that AAPL is going to consider what Amazon is doing with the Kindle though, and release a whisper network instead. It makes perfect sense to have that as an alternative to EDGE and regular wi-fi. But, that would require a new device. Hmm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.