Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

secretpact

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
Does anyone know how to add a shortcut to my home folder to my desktop? I searched the forums but didn't find the answer.

iCeFuSiOn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
Open your home folder (you can do this by clicking on the Finder icon in the dock) and then Command-Option-Left Click & Drag the home folder icon from the title bar of the Finder window to the desktop. Voila, you have an alias to the home folder.

Or, you can create a symbolic link by using the following command in Terminal:

ln -s ~/ ~/Desktop/Home

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
You can also put your home folder in the dock.

You can also put your home folder in the side bar (if it's not already there).

You can also set your home folder to be the Finder's default 'New Finder Window' location (if it isn't already). That way

You can also get to it through spotlight.

You can also keep it opened in it's open Spaces space and then switch to it with a key command.

... and that's about all the ways I can think of.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
sorry - old thread...

but thank you for this. it was helpful, i always wondered why this wasn't an option out of the box. it seems to me this is more helpful that having the hd on the desktop.

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
I prefer clicking on the Desktop and pressing Command + Up cursor key to go up a level.

Since the Desktop is simply a folder in your Home folder, going up a level takes you to your Home folder. Simple.

harsh2888

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2010
Putting HOME on Desktop

I tried doing Command + Option + Left Click and Drag it onto the desktop, however, I received the following message:

“HOME” can’t be opened right now because it’s being used by another task, such as moving or copying an item or emptying the Trash. Try again when the current task is complete.

I really want my home folder on desktop as it would make it very convinient, any suggestions??

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
sorry - old thread...

but thank you for this. it was helpful, i always wondered why this wasn't an option out of the box. it seems to me this is more helpful that having the hd on the desktop.

For me it's easier to have the folders I use most on the dock, i.e., documents, downloads, movies, & pictures. No reason to go the desktop to open a folder when I can do it directly from the dock.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I really want my home folder on desktop as it would make it very convinient, any suggestions??

Bump up one level from your Home folder so you can highlight its icon in the Finder Window. Secondary click (right click or Control-click) on the icon, and select Make Alias. Now drag the alias to your Desktop.

harsh2888

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2010
Home Folder on Desktop

Gregg,

I tried that and when I did right click, there was no option to "Make Alias"...I believe Command + L, does the same thing right? I tried that as well, no success.

Harsh

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
harsh,

Do you have an active Make Alias command in your Finder File Menu, or is it gray?

What OS do you have?

Just what do you see when you highlight the Home Folder icon and right click on it?

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
You can also put your home folder in the dock.

You can also put your home folder in the side bar (if it's not already there).

You can also set your home folder to be the Finder's default 'New Finder Window' location (if it isn't already). That way

You can also get to it through spotlight.

You can also keep it opened in it's open Spaces space and then switch to it with a key command.

... and that's about all the ways I can think of.
In Finder Preferences, you can also set "new Finder windows open:" to open your user folder. Then, the Finder icon in Dock opens your user folder. This is why I stopped using an alias on the desktop.

For the CLI command someone posted earlier, I'd suggest going with "ln -s ~ ~/Desktop/" to preserve the proper folder name that is used everywhere else.

harsh2888

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2010
Home Folder

I have MS OS X 10.6.2 and yeah the Make Alias is Gray. However, I believe it would be easier just to click the Finder Icon on the deck and get to the Home Folder.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I think you're right. For some reason, it seems that Apple's programmers think it's not a good idea to allow users to make an alias of the Home Folder. I can't do it with 10.5.8 either.

davidcollantes

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
Not removed

I think you're right. For some reason, it seems that Apple's programmers think it's not a good idea to allow users to make an alias of the Home Folder. I can't do it with 10.5.8 either.

Hold down Apple + Option while you drag the folder to the desktop.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando

Actually, Apple programmers feel that it's not a good idea to allow a user to modify the /Users/ folder without having root access. That's a very good thing. See, when you create an alias from the File menu, it places it in the same directory where the original file was. That's /Users/ in this case. That's not a good thing. You don't want people to have the ability to modify that folder, since it's vital to system operation. Granted, it makes this task a bit more difficult, but since they want you to use the Dock for this anyways, it's not a high priority to figure out a workaround that would break their user experience paradigm anyways.

See?

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.