Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpneal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
OK. I have spent the last three weekends hanging out at the MBP 2.2 glossy in my local apple store. I hate this wait and don't buy because the updates are coming anxiety. I just took delivery of an XPS 1530 but the screen sucks. It has to go back in the next 7 days or so. I want to make the MBP purchase soon. Is it crazy to go ahead and buy it now? Will I get blindsided by an all new model in the next few weeks?? What are your thoughts?

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
if the current model does and has everything you want it to, why would you wait? ive seen it said on here before and agree with it to some degree, but people who really need a mbp already have one and aren't waiting for the new ones. i know not everyone falls into that category, but i don't see why you would wait if you like the one that is already out there and does what you need it to do

murc585

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I think you'll regret it. It shouldn't be too long now until the refreshed macbook pro comes out. I know its hard to wait, but you'll feel really stupid for buying it right now once the new one is out. Penryn should make for a cooler laptop and a more battery-efficient one as well. They will most likely give it a new video card, hopefully change the look of it a little and apple usually has a way of surprising you with some useless new features that make you want them even more. If you've waited this long, I'm sure you can last out until the refresh comes up.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Ten years from now, you won't even remember the difference between the current MBP and the magical mystery MBP that's slated for release. If anything, ten years from now, you might regret the months you spent fretting over an inanimate object you ended up replacing nine years ago.

lekun

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
You will regret it. If you are the kind of computer user who could buy a Dell because a MBP didn't have the latest specs, then you will regret your purchase.

Macs are great if you care about the software, and what the software enables you to do - and if you believe Mac OS X and Mac software enables you to do more or better than Windows XP or Unix. Yes, I think they have great industrial design, but the physical components and color are really just a shell for software. And if you believe Mac OS X is superior, it doesn't matter what the specs are, there is no way you will buy a Dell.

However, if the shell - the components, and specs, and numbers - is what is important - then it is Penryn or bust.

For all the people that are waiting I've never hear anyone say "I do X with my computer and can't do that with the current MBPs, but I could with Penryn MBPs so I am waiting." For those people, they should wait. And for those that care more about the specs than the wait is also necessary.

But for those of us who care about the product we make with our computers, then there is no wait. You buy when you have to buy, and you keep on creating.

tokiidokii

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2008
hmmm why would you regret something that you truly want having? see maybe people should ask themselves, 'will i regret waiting this long for maybe a slight upgrade?'. i dunno, i got my very first mac (2.4 mbp :D) about 3 weeks ago and tbh, i've already looked past that thread. btw, i didn't know that updates for mac things happen on tues. and stuff like that.

but yea, i'm very happy that i decided to just stick with what i bought. i mean 3 weeks later and people in the waiting list keep changing the date. like if you read from the beginning, people were saying feb. 5 or w/e. then it comes and goes and people then change it to like 'i'll wait til feb. 12' and so on and so on... there's just no end to it and it's like almost depressing.

anyway, that's them and if they can stomach waiting, more power to them. but yea, me personally did not and will not regret 'not waiting'. i'm having too much fun with my mbp :)

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
If you can wait, you'll probably get a much better deal on the same system you originally wanted. Just a thought.

vchalupa

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
It really depends on what you intend to do with the MBP. I must agree with "lekun" poster.

But I believe there is an Apple event scheduled for this upcoming Tuesday. If anything, I'd at least wait till then. If you've waited this long already, I'm sure you can wait at least till Tuesday! ;)

And if the updates come out on Tuesday, you can choose between the new model or possibly even the old models if Apple is selling them for cheap on clearance or something... Just a thought :)

------------------------------------
:apple:

cpneal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
All great points. I am making the switch to MAC for the first time in my life. I have two small kids and have gotten caught up in the digital photo and video buzz. I figure that by the time I purchase a Dell, buy the needed software(antivirus, video editing software, photo editing software and who knows what else) I am paying just as much and still on Vista...... I think the ilife suite will be sufficient for me for quite some time. It's just that the MBP is the total package. I can't tell you how many times I get the blue screen of death just trying to capture and render video on my pc. I am really excited to switch to the MBP. It also helps that they are built really solid and look amazing. The Dell is all plastic and the workmanship just does not compare.... I spent 3 hours on hold and being transferrred by Dell support just to get it through to them that the screen on this XPS is grainy. I just need to pull the trigger. I'm in my last class so I am still eligible for the education discount. Thanks for all of the info and opinions.

murc585

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I agree that the current MBP is sufficient, and penryn has not shown that much a performance increase, mostly programs that take use of SSE4, such as divx for encoding have found major performance increases. BUT, if they change that video card and add in a 9600M, it will kill the current MBR when it comes to apple's pro software. If you are going to use programs like motion or aperture, it will be highly beneficial. If the 9600M isn;t out by then, I can see apple giving the MBP something like an 8800M, which again, would kill their current generation video solution. I could see this happening, especially with the temp decrease penryn should introduce.

greeneggs28

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
San Angelo
Wait if you want, but I totally agree with what "basesloaded" said. If the MBP has what you need, then go for it. The waiting game will never end. As soon as the next update is released, the wait for the next will begin. Just get what you need or want and enjoy. I don't think buying any Apple machine will ever leave you with regrets. Thats what makes them so great! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.