Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Feb 25, 2008, 07:56 AM   #1
RemRem
macrumors newbie

Can a iTouch connect to a local iTunes Server

Hi All

Will you be able to connect to a local iTunes Server from your iPod Touch, or is this a no go?

More precise - Can a iPod Touch connect to a LAN Disk that has support for iTunes Service?

Regards

Torben

Last edited by RemRem; Feb 25, 2008 at 01:23 PM.
RemRem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:05 AM   #2
PMB
macrumors 65816

First off, its a pet peeve of mine, it is an iPod Touch. NOT an iTouch

as for your question, no, not without jailbreaking, but it does have the mobile itunes store...
PMB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 01:36 PM   #3
dickovski
macrumors regular

You can do it without jailbreaking by installing http://www.dottunes.net/ on your mac. The software is free but you will have to pay (10) to access it from your Touch but then you can access iTunes locally or even externally through Safari.

I can access my entire iTunes library from my Touch or from my Opera on the Wii. It even streams video!!! Starting to sound like a salesman now so I'll shut up.

Hope that helps
dickovski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 01:47 PM   #4
RemRem
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply PMB - And I have changed the name now.

I guess when you talk about itunes Store, this is for buying music over the internet, but my plan with the iPod Touch was to buy the Universal Dock with remote - connect some Logitech Z4 speakers to the Dock, and a LAN disk where all the data was stored on.

With this setup I would avoid a PC running 24-7, and still have a cool gagdet in the living room, and if I could get the iPod Touch to connect to a share on a LAN disk I would have 500 GB of mp3 files available through WIFI, and still 32GB of music with me on the road.

Is this wish thinking or could this be done?

Regards
RemRem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 04:16 PM   #5
mymacmini
macrumors newbie

Impossible

You have to have the computer, or else you have nothing to serve the files with. The iPod Touch does not contain a full iTunes program, so it cannot pull the files directly from the disk. You must have a computer attached to the disk.

I personally have Salling Clicker, and I connect to my mac mini which streams to my airtunes on my outdoor speakers. I can control iTunes wirelessly throughout my house.
mymacmini is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch