Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:06 PM   #1
PowermacG5 help
macrumors newbie

Powermac G5 Desktop Help

Hello all, I have browsed and searched the internet for my problem, along with taking it to the Apple store to get their oppinion. However, Im looking for the community's oppinion

I was buying a Powermac G5 off a friend of mine, he told me that it wasnt working and i was well aware of that. According to him and his "Vo-tech" teacher, the power supply had gone bad or wasnt supplying enough power.

So i take it to the apple store, a man there helps me and says he has to take in in the back to be sure all parts are secure. He comes back out, attaches a monitor, and plugs it in. He hits the power button, the white light comes on, but only stays on for about a second, and all the fans spin. The red light that comes on when you remove the part covering the internals also comes on.

He told me that he is 99.9% sure i have a bad logic board. What is your oppinion?

Is it worth it to ebay a logic board and have it installed, or should i just not buy the computer?

Also i was wondering how much i would be able to scrap the computer for if i bought it settling on the logic board being bad?

Thanks
PowermacG5 help is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:55 PM   #2
deathshrub
Banned

I'm not sure how much you would get for scrap, but I wouldn't buy it at all. Seems as if there are a few things your "friend" hasn't told you about the computer.
deathshrub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 01:51 AM   #3
Lord Zedd
Banned

Don't buy it. Not worth the repair costs.
Lord Zedd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 04:10 AM   #4
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
Not sure how fast your...

G5 is, but it sounds like a 1.8 GHz, and a "logic board" is going to run you about $300 low working its way up. Labor is probably about $150 plus tax, so, you are looking at about $500-$600 in parts, labor and taxes. Sounds as though there may be other things going on as well. Does it come with a cinema display 20" or larger? All that adds up to about $1200 for a G5 1.8 GHz for a "running" G5 w/cinema display; hopefully, you're getting a better deal for something described as not working. For just the computer, I would shoot for about $150-$200, since there may be more to the repairs than the cursory inspection by the Apple Store, and because when the G5 isn't supplying enough power or in your case "not turning on" 9 out of 10 times the repair needed points to the logic board. Be careful, you don't want to lose a friend over a "fixer-upper" computer.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs