Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:08 AM   #1
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Illustrator newbie Q

Hi all,

I'm totally new to Adobe Illustrator but I'm using the program to produce illustrations with for my archaeology thesis work. So far things have been going well, I'm mainly producing greyscale line drawings of soil profiles. I take a pencil scale elevation drawing, scan it and trace the lines in Illustrator, adding text, titles, a scale bar etc. Simple.

My biggest problem is filling certain areas with cross-hatching or dot patterns. I figured out the live paint group feature but I don't have any cross hatch or dot pattern swatches. I tried to make some swatches by drawing patterns and dragging them to the swatches palette, but they look pretty awful.

How can I make or get some good, simple cross hatch/dot swatches to use as fill? Thanks guys.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:15 AM   #2
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Blackadder View Post
Hi all,

I'm totally new to Adobe Illustrator but I'm using the program to produce illustrations with for my archaeology thesis work. So far things have been going well, I'm mainly producing greyscale line drawings of soil profiles. I take a pencil scale elevation drawing, scan it and trace the lines in Illustrator, adding text, titles, a scale bar etc. Simple.

My biggest problem is filling certain areas with cross-hatching or dot patterns. I figured out the live paint group feature but I don't have any cross hatch or dot pattern swatches. I tried to make some swatches by drawing patterns and dragging them to the swatches palette, but they look pretty awful.

How can I make or get some good, simple cross hatch/dot swatches to use as fill? Thanks guys.

Here are some dots and here is the Google search I used to find it.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 12:01 PM   #3
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusTheKing View Post
Here are some dots and here is the Google search I used to find it.
Much obliged. I was searching for "cross hatching" and wasn't having any luck.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics