Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:57 AM   #1
sculley
macrumors newbie

MBP's - how much thinner can they get?

I wonder how much smaller can the MBP's get? I think the reason the MBP form factor (aside from minor changes) has been with us for so long probably has a lot to do with how successful it has been vs. the TiBooks (and their broken hinges), and that fact that it is already quite thin compared to other laptops on the market - not that it matters much.

I don't know how thick the bottom half of the current models is because I'm at work on a PC, but given that current optical drives and HDD enclosures are 9.5mm thick and that a case needs to surround them, I don't imagine that they would be thinner than 10.5-11.5mm on the bottom half. Add to that the MBA's thinner screen design - it looks about 50% thinner - and we'd get a machine that was something like 13.5- 15mm thick all totaled? Does that sound about right? That would give us a MBP that is about .6 inches thick. That would be a significant decrease. Does anyone else think that this is feasible?
sculley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:02 AM   #2
7even
macrumors 6502a

I think the superdrive moved up a bit on the new model. It is now at the top edge of the bottom part. Seems like they're just itching to trim away some of the bottom haha

I think they can go a little thinner, but not by much..
7even is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:11 AM   #3
Knolly
macrumors 6502a

@7even
The Superdrive didn't move at all. The drive has always been in different places on the 15 and 17 inch models. You're probably seeing a picture of the 17 inch, which has the drive up at the top, and thinking it's a 15 inch model.
Knolly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:22 AM   #4
tip
macrumors 6502

Yeah, the top can be slimmed a bit, but then it would be oddly proportioned - that probably won't happen. It can't get really any thinner on the base either - you need to take other components into consideration (graphics card, side ports, etc.). The MBP is much slimmer compared to its competition. 0.6" is overly optimistic.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:24 AM   #5
Tallest Skil
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
I think the superdrive moved up a bit on the new model. It is now at the top edge of the bottom part. Seems like they're just itching to trim away some of the bottom haha

I think they can go a little thinner, but not by much..
The 17 inch has always had the SuperDrive on the top.
Tallest Skil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:29 AM   #6
7even
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knolly View Post
@7even
The Superdrive didn't move at all. The drive has always been in different places on the 15 and 17 inch models. You're probably seeing a picture of the 17 inch, which has the drive up at the top, and thinking it's a 15 inch model.
Oh, my bad. Didn't notice that before, oops
7even is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:30 AM   #7
BlizzardBomb
macrumors 68030

Another .1" or .2" could be shaved off, any more and we're going to be squeezing the biggest limiting factors - the 2.5" Hard Drive with a height of just under .4" and possibly the optical drive. The MacBook Air uses a 1.8" Hard Drive with a height of around .3".

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro