Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sculley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
I wonder how much smaller can the MBP's get? I think the reason the MBP form factor (aside from minor changes) has been with us for so long probably has a lot to do with how successful it has been vs. the TiBooks (and their broken hinges), and that fact that it is already quite thin compared to other laptops on the market - not that it matters much.

I don't know how thick the bottom half of the current models is because I'm at work on a PC, but given that current optical drives and HDD enclosures are 9.5mm thick and that a case needs to surround them, I don't imagine that they would be thinner than 10.5-11.5mm on the bottom half. Add to that the MBA's thinner screen design - it looks about 50% thinner - and we'd get a machine that was something like 13.5- 15mm thick all totaled? Does that sound about right? That would give us a MBP that is about .6 inches thick. That would be a significant decrease. Does anyone else think that this is feasible?

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
I think the superdrive moved up a bit on the new model. It is now at the top edge of the bottom part. Seems like they're just itching to trim away some of the bottom haha

I think they can go a little thinner, but not by much..

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
@7even
The Superdrive didn't move at all. The drive has always been in different places on the 15 and 17 inch models. You're probably seeing a picture of the 17 inch, which has the drive up at the top, and thinking it's a 15 inch model.

tip

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
Yeah, the top can be slimmed a bit, but then it would be oddly proportioned - that probably won't happen. It can't get really any thinner on the base either - you need to take other components into consideration (graphics card, side ports, etc.). The MBP is much slimmer compared to its competition. 0.6" is overly optimistic.

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
@7even
The Superdrive didn't move at all. The drive has always been in different places on the 15 and 17 inch models. You're probably seeing a picture of the 17 inch, which has the drive up at the top, and thinking it's a 15 inch model.

Oh, my bad. Didn't notice that before, oops :eek:

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Another .1" or .2" could be shaved off, any more and we're going to be squeezing the biggest limiting factors - the 2.5" Hard Drive with a height of just under .4" and possibly the optical drive. The MacBook Air uses a 1.8" Hard Drive with a height of around .3".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.