Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wickedawesome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Ok with the updates to the Macbook, I am finally ready to pull the trigger and get my first Mac.

I am wanting to know from each advantage or disadvantage of the black vs. the white (other than price).

Sorry know this has been discussed before but I can't find it.

mbopy22

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I'm in the same debate myself... Can someone pleeeaaaase let us know what's a good/best call

White MacBook or BlackBook????? :confused:

mbopy22

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
White gets more dirtier.

Black gets more fingerprints.

I have a white iBook (duh it only came in that color, I know) and so far only the track pad, the side and the "O" letter has some yellowish signs of use.

What are other differences between them?? the control comes in black too? the AC adapter in black too??

Questions Questions... DARN you Steve... I want it all....!!!!

Is someone busy this afternoon to help me our rob a bank??? :p to buy all the Apple Store itself!!! :D

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
I have a white iBook (duh it only came in that color, I know) and so far only the track pad, the side and the "O" letter has some yellowish signs of use.

What are other differences between them?? the control comes in black too? the AC adapter in black too??

Questions Questions... DARN you Steve... I want it all....!!!!

Is someone busy this afternoon to help me our rob a bank??? :p to buy all the Apple Store itself!!! :D

That's it! Just the colour and bigger HDD separating the BlackBook and mid-range white.

The accessories are still in white. So a white charger and the optional white remote.

EmbeddedTim

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Rochester, NY
I would never pay for more HD and the black color (my opinion: its a rip-off).

I have a iBookG4 and a little "Magic Eraser" and its instantly cleaned (on another note- if you've never seen anyone use a Magic Eraser, go buy one and use it - I couldn't believe what it cleaned).

Best Apple notebook for your $: midrange macbook.

angrygolfer

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
PA
I personally think the white is a little feminine. Plus I wanted the extra disk space so I went with the Blackbook.

mikelcroft

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
USA
I bought the white midrange macbook.

Was gonna go for the black, for the bigger HDD - but finally decided on the white, because for one, every other laptop I've ever owned has been black - I wanted a change, and also I didn't like that the charger and other accessories wouldn't match. :p
...another plus with the white is, you can buy those colored hardshells, and change the color to whatever you want... Can't really do that with the black.

I've been very happy with my decision. :)

mbopy22

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Nervermind
I just clikced the Submit Order !!!

Refurb - Blackbook COMING!!!! I just couldn't resisst the offer 1049 vs 999, is not THAT big of a difference in price and you get 40GB more of ram. :D

I'll let you know when it arrives... if I don't like the black one (which I doubt, cause I've seen both 2 years ago) I can always sale it for a very large amount...and get a white one. :p

Considering that my local Apple dealer sales the White MacBook for 1600Us$$ yes, yes, I know, is a Rape... but that's the price down here in South America... :mad:

Dubba

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2006
Nairobi, Kenya
I was debating between these two myself, and decided on the BlackBook, as I would have upgraded the HD to 250 on the MacBook White anyway, so the difference was only $50.

My rationale was as follows:

We have two white iBook G4s in the house (wife, brother);
We have one white MacBook in the house (mom);
I was bored of white;
I needed something that looked professional (I used to have a 12" PB), and I personally don't think the white one does;

Not everyone will subscribe to these reasons, but I was prepared to pay a $50 premium for a different colour.

jhkaplan

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I just bought a new BlackBook yesterday at the Chicago Michigan Ave store. It's a great machine, upgrading from my G4 iBook. I'm having a little buyer's remorse though; it was so expensive and my iBook is still working pretty well. All of the new bells and whistles on the MacBook are nice, but I'm mainly using my computer for internet, iChat, and iTunes.

The one reason I wanted to upgrade was the faster DVD ripping and the bigger HD for all of my itunes music and movies. The iBook was just not handling it anymore. Still, i feel like it's a lot to pay just to upgrade to those features. I'm not sure if I'm going to return the BlackBook this weekend or not....

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Being that I'm an owner of the very BlackBook described...

and having owned the MB 2.16 120GB Mid-Range White, I can honestly (not sure if I should be using this word) say that keeping the WMB clean and presentable was WORK, I was constantly scrubbing with the "Magic Eraser" and went through two small bottles of "iKlear" and that was one of the reasons the Apple Store Manager that exchanged my MB for my current BlackBook said that my White MB was immaculate!

I originally went with the WMB 2.16 because the BlackBook was $200 more for just the color (I was willing to forego any remarks about my feminine side), but the 2nd time around (Wed Feb 27, '08) the Apple Store didn't have the configuration that I wanted, which was the MB 2.4 250GB, so I asked if I can have the BlackBook with those same specs, but at the WMB price? There wasn't even a pause, when the manager agreed to my request. I did notice a $300 Store Discount on my receipt. So, be aware that most Apple Stores don't have the White MB in the 250GB HHD, and they will probably stick to their guns about the price of the BlackBook, and if you want the WMB with 250GB HHD, you'll probably buy it on the spot and then they'll go in the back and put one together for you, especially after my deal. :cool:

thesdx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2007
Nervermind
I just clikced the Submit Order !!!

Refurb - Blackbook COMING!!!! I just couldn't resisst the offer 1049 vs 999, is not THAT big of a difference in price and you get 40GB more of ram. :D

I'll let you know when it arrives... if I don't like the black one (which I doubt, cause I've seen both 2 years ago) I can always sale it for a very large amount...and get a white one. :p

Considering that my local Apple dealer sales the White MacBook for 1600Us$$ yes, yes, I know, is a Rape... but that's the price down here in South America... :mad:

I'm gonna get myself a refurb BlackBook too. That price is unresistable. I'm not a big fan of Apple white, it looks too delicate and gets really dirty. Black looks more professional.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.