Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmb3886

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Are you? *Base Model*

- No blu-ray
- 3mb L2 Cache what the ****?
- No Case Redesign
- 8600 Nvidia again
- no new latch

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
I found myself chuckling at all those people waiting and waiting. Now they are complaining and complaining. :D I have a 2.2ghz Macbook Pro (purchased in Sept.) and I could care less about these new updates. My next computer purchase will be a powerful desktop anyway.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Are you? *Base Model*

- No blu-ray
- No Case Redesign
- etc.
Sigh. This is really all that could be done, Apple has no control over Intel. Sure Apple could have excluded the 2.4Ghz 3MB L2 Penryn CPU from the base MBP but they did not. Personally I think they should have ditched it and only offered the 2.5 and 2.6. I am surprised there is no blu-ray, bummer there. I knew there would be no case redesign yet, this is considered the 'Santa Rosa Refresh' according to INTEL http://download.intel.com/products/roadmap/roadmap.pdf The case redesign will happen with Montevina this summer/fall. This was an expected update that Apple HAD to do to keep up with the rest. I believe the NEXT update will come with a big event unlike the last few MBP updates.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
i didn't expect blu-ray at all. what i did think they would do is a ssd option. i think this for the most part is exactly what we could have expected today. now the summer even is going to be something great!

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I only expected a moderate upgrade, but why no SSD option?

TEG

Probably because who in their ever right mind would pay nearly $1000 for a 64gb SSD and get an absolutely inferior amount of capacity (I'm comparing 64gb to the 200/250gb). It makes perfect sense why there is no SSD option.

The format war has only recently been won by Blu-Ray and so it makes sense that Apple waited for a clear winner. Realistic blu-ray speculation can begin now, but makes perfect sense (again) that blu-ray was not included today.

Why do I always get suckered into responding to these complaint threads?

now the summer even is going to be something great!

Quotes like these are why people complain, you're already setting yourself up for a letdown.

machspeed5

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2008
Are you? *Base Model*

- No blu-ray
- No Case Redesign
- 8600 Nvidia again
- no new latch

to answer you: no.

logic:

bluray doesn't have much strategic relevance to apple's itunes music/movie store initiative!! duh! it wasn't going to happen. it would be self-defeating.

case redesign without an jobsian keynote/fanfare or significant mobo redesign?

8600, be happy for double the vram. i wasn't expecting graphics updates, but was pleasantly surprised. i'll happily take it cause 8700/8800 would create too much heat for a 1" form factor.

i thought it has a mag latch now?

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
I doubt Apple will be in any rush with Blu-Ray. It clearly has great interest in frustrating the growth of Blu-Ray as it has far more to win in ensuring that digital downloads are the true next-gen format. It also appears that its hardware direction is following this route with the release of the optical-driveless MBA.

This is much in the same why that Microsoft had no real interest in HD-DVD winning the format war. The only reason it poured $$$ behind it was to frustrate the growth of next-gen physical formats whilst digital downloading had time to find its footing in the market.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Hey GimmeSlack12, while you are here you were so confident that multi touch was SQUASHED on the MBP, well you were wrong. Why was THIS thread closed? Here are the fun bits.

nikhsub1 said:
It won't be a chipset update unless the update doesnt happen until later summer... otherwise, it will likely be a CPU, multi touch, maybe a price adjustment, maybe a slight case redesign, maybe LED screens for 17", maybe...

GimmeSlack12 said:
Multi-touch on the MBP has been squashed. That is exlusive to the MBA only.

Funny how right I was and how wrong you were.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
why would they put a 64gb SSD Drive on a PRO notebook?

idk i thought that maybe they would make it an option cuz its seems to be the direction hdd are going. i guess 64 gb doesn't make sense, but i guess the future price falls and increases sizes is inevitable...more hopes and guess i guess

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
What did you expect?

Magnetic latch - not really a big deal

512MB VRAM - NICE

2.5Ghz stock - NICE

no new keyboard - who cares.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
Not disappointed at all. It was well in line with what a rational person would expect.

Not a huge jump from the last model, but an improvement in several ways.

Someday I'll understand why someone would find HD media in a laptop computer with a 15" or even 17" screen "crucial". Check that, I probably won't. BluRay is far from mainstream still.

Muzzway

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
Honestly, if you were expecting more, you were expecting too much. Every update gets complaints.

SDDave2007

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Personally I am more than pleased with the upgrades...
New CPU
Bigger HD standard
More realistic option pricing [still $400 for memory is a bit much]

So while the price didn't go down..... the specs did go up

And for the record..... a "new" machine be it a laptop, desktop or whatever does take time. While some of you have a higher than normal opinion of Steve Jobs.... he really doesn't have a magic wand that he refuses to wave... He has engineers, designers, suppliers...

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Hey GimmeSlack12, while you are here you were so confident that multi touch was SQUASHED on the MBP, well you were wrong. Why was THIS thread closed? Here are the fun bits.

Funny how right I was and how wrong you were.

Funny how much I could give a crap. So what do you win? Aaaah heck, I'll give you a high five!

But jeez, I have been wrong before. I remember that whole debacle with video iPods that I was so animate that were never going to happen. Or what about the 17" Powerbook, boy... blind sided me on that one.

toneloco2881

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
Not disappointed at all. It was well in line with what a rational person would expect.

Not a huge jump from the last model, but an improvement in several ways.

Someday I'll understand why someone would find HD media in a laptop computer with a 15" or even 17" screen "crucial". Check that, I probably won't. BluRay is far from mainstream still.
For myself, the allure of Blu-ray lies in its storage capacity. The ability to store 25-50GB of data on a single disc is great for archival and backup purposes. Of course, I back up to a hard drive, but optical media is technically "safer" in the long run.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Yes.

Last years 8600 video card instead of the 8800. :rolleyes:
Lo res 15" screen.
No SSD.
No built in 3G.
No Quadro option. It's a "pro" machine.
No card reader.
No Blu-ray.

nzoMD

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
San Diego
Yes.

Last years 8600 video card instead of the 8800. :rolleyes:
Lo res 15" screen.
No SSD.
No built in 3G.
No Quadro option. It's a "pro" machine.
No card reader.
No Blu-ray.

8800 will not fit in the current case.. You obviously never seen an 8800. Hoping for a 8700 would have been more logical since the 8700 is basicly just an overlocked 8600.

Thats just talking about size.. heating would be another issue. MBP would need to be thicker in order to fit and cool the card. Why do you think the other laptops on the market that support 8800 are thicker than the MBP.

nzoMD

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
San Diego
I am a little disappointed about the L2 cache situation. Either way I will be buying a new MBP... I am just going to wait a week or two for benchmarks and see if I want the base or midrange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.