Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Feb 28, 2008, 12:29 PM   #1
rpeters83
macrumors regular

5.8 Ghz phone interfering with 5 Ghz AEBSn?????

I've noticed this happening randomly lately. Sometimes if my 5.8 ghz phone is near me and I use it, my wifi signal drops dead on my macbook (my only mac). Also, when it happens, the signal on the phone sounds gargly (the dial tone). This only happens occasionally. I then have to reconnect it. Otherwise, it's fine.

BTW, my phone is Voip but it's plugged into the lan jack of another router (being used as an access point). Not sure if this is related, but don't think it is.

Any ideas? Could my 5.8 phone really be a 5? Very odd!
rpeters83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 12:33 PM   #2
Stampyhead
macrumors 68020

It's definitely possible. The higher the frequency the pickier the device will be about interference. Try changing the channel at which your Airport operates and see if that helps. The only other thing I can think of is downgrading your phone to 2.8Ghz????
Stampyhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 12:45 PM   #3
rpeters83
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampyhead View Post
It's definitely possible. The higher the frequency the pickier the device will be about interference. Try changing the channel at which your Airport operates and see if that helps. The only other thing I can think of is downgrading your phone to 2.8Ghz????
You're right!

My AEBSn was set to channel 153 in 5ghz mode! It seemed my phone was channel hopping and randomly got onto the same channel as my airport.

I noticed that when it did it, my signal on my macbook dropped to like 13 and went immediately back to 243 or 300 when i turned the phone off.

So, I put the channel on the airport back to 36 or 40 and so far so good.

Learned something new! Thanks.
Old May 29, 2008, 11:47 PM   #4
ntrigue
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ntrigue
I just installed my Time Capsule (20 feet away from desk) I have a Uniden 5.8Ghz on my desk. Should I remove the phone from this room, use wireless-n on 2.4Ghz, play around with different channels?
ntrigue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 06:24 AM   #5
rpeters83
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrigue View Post
I just installed my Time Capsule (20 feet away from desk) I have a Uniden 5.8Ghz on my desk. Should I remove the phone from this room, use wireless-n on 2.4Ghz, play around with different channels?
No.

The only reason mine was being weird was because I had my AEBSn on 5Ghz mode and on channel 141, which, as it turns out, pushes it up to around the 5.7-5.8 Ghz range. As soon as I brought my channel back down to the default, my interference issues with my 5.8 Ghz phone were gone. Otherwise, my wifi would cut out whenever the phone range.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals