Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nancy4art

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Help all you techno- wizards....!
I need a cheap way to video/audio/ record on my iMac somehow...
I have sleep apnea-- and have spent thousands of dollars and years to determine the effectiveness of one sleep apnea apparatus after another to lessen my throat collapsing and me choking at night.
I can't afford a 375.00 home test -- or even an 85.00 oximeter report all the time.

I heard of someone using a video camera to photograph themselves at night to show their MD what was going on.

Is there a way I can plug in my iMac 17" screen with the Intel Core Processor (1.83 GHz) pointed at me while I sleep so I can get me on a video conference-- or imovie-- or just record the sound somehow...
Ideally--- if something can just record me for 7 hours in semi darkness-- and then I can run it on fast forward to see when I have the cessation of breath-- that I can email to my MD.
Or-- do you folks have any other ideas of how it can be cheaply done?
Thanks!

Noddin Nancy

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Not sure if they're maximum time limits (there probably are), but have you tried the video recording features in Photo Booth or iMovie?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Just use QuickTime (you may need to spring for pro) and create a new video recording. Although, an audio recording may be just as helpful. I do it every once in a while with my iPod as I sometimes talk in my sleep, and sometimes I come up with great ideas while doing so.

TEG

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Sorry. This is probably too late. But I've done it using an open source program called Gawker which can take a photo at intervals of your choosing. It cannot record sound though. It's amazing what you find out about your sleep. I advice you to get an infra-red lamp so that you can stay in the dark, but all cameras are sensitive to IR wave length. I haven't done this myself, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. It says it only works on Tiger, but I've used it on Leopard.

http://gawker.sourceforge.net/Download.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.