Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A Youtube video of an upcoming puzzle game for the iPhone demonstrates how developers could use the unique capabilities of the iPhone as part of the gaming experience.

Trism is a puzzle game, requiring the player to align the the triangles together in three or more consecutive triangles of the same color. Rows of triangles may be moved with the use of the touch screen, and grouped triangles will disappear. The remainder of the triangles will fall into the open space left. The direction of the fall depends on the vertical orientation of the iPhone at the time the triangles disappear. The video demonstrates the basic gameplay well.

The game is currently under development as an "unofficial" 3rd party application and requires a jailbroken iPhone. However, the developer is planning to relaunch it once the official Software Development Kit is released. Apple is hosting a media event on March 6th to announce details about the iPhone and iPod Touch SDK.

A demo of the game will be available on demiforce.com.

Article Link: Unofficial iPhone Game Demos Unique Possibilities

Last edited:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
yep. it'll be very interesting once developers get their hands on a full SDK.

Another concept game that someone mocked up a while back to use multitouch on the iPhone:

https://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/01/17/finger-fracture-game-concept/

023052-ff1.png

rugbyboy

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
London, UK
It's interesting, Apple's attitude towards games.

We have heard from many developers that they seem to have a totally laissez faire attitude to games on the Mac but they seem to have slightly more interest in iPod games. With the iPhone there's a device in many, many pockets and the games market could be - in fact should be - huge.

It might be interesting if they followed Microsoft's lead here - they recently announce that games developed for the Xbox 360 can easily be transferred to the Zune - http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/20/gdc08-xna-games-coming-to-zune/

Gaming is a bigger and bigger market and Apple should not overlook the potential goldmine here.

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but Quake was running on a phone with an Android OS. The phone is only 300mhz (compared to the iPhone's 600mhz). Android is everything Google promised it'll be.

Check out the BBC video below:

http://www.gsmarena.com/android_os_shows_new_tricks-news-446.php

I fail to see the point. The demo was menu to assume that the SDK could possibly handle the full multi-touch and acceleromer of the iPhone. Other phones could run a huge amount of apps. My old phone can open a ssh client.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but Quake was running on a phone with an Android OS. The phone is only 300mhz (compared to the iPhone's 600mhz). Android is everything Google promised it'll be.

Please don't make Android the Ron Paul of iPod/iPhone news. I mean... its pretty nice but read the title of this thread: "Unofficial iPhone Game Demos Unique Possibilites". Android is an OS, and if you watch the video you linked to, you'll notice that the phone demoed is a "reference design" with a 3d-chip and 3G support and not simply a phone that's on the market and available to pick-up today for a specific amount of money. --Meaning, the value-proposition is a bit muddy... and the feature-set for the Android platform is going to always be unclear (given the universality of the platform).

Conversely, as the title of this thread implies... the iPhone/iPod Touch platform has a unique feature-set SHARED by all of the units going out. So, when you see a game being demoed, you know it represents something NEW that YOU can do with your EXISTING iPhone or iPod Touch. Like the unfolding of an onion, or like purchasing a new device every month. The phone simply isn't being used to its potential, despite the current degree of customer satisfaction. :eek:

I was remarking to my mother today, that anyone could by an iPod Touch for $300, because anytime she wants to go on the Internet, sometimes its a pain to go turn on the computer. I agree that games like this represent the future. I'm a little saddened to think a full-scale "patent-war" might break out over it, but I understand the thrill and value of coming up with a new idea, and being properl compensated.

So, again... don't "Ron Paul" iPhone news with unrelated Android stuff! I certainly can't wait for games like Quake to come to iPhone either, but since it already runs on Linux, I somehow don't running it on Android would take much effort.

~ CB

P.S. Welcome to the forum. Better luck with your second post.

Leemo

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2006
Nottingham, UK

Yes - but quite why you'd want to play Quake on that particular device is beyond me. The game previewed in that YouTube video is far more interesting, as it is certainly unique in the way you use the hardware. I find that kind of innovation far more exciting.

It's the Nintendo DS vs. PSP debate. Graphical capabilities aren't exactly everything.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I'm not much of a gamer but I am interested to see how this turns out.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
this game looks great... however, i'm curious is the game ends? or if there are levels?... seems like now it's very casual and never-ending, which kinda makes it flat...

yvo84

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
Yeah okay, calm down.
Truth be told, i wouldn't get another mobile device without multi-touch and simple games (as Nintendo has demonstrated with DS and Wii) are far more likely to sell well than complex games.

Google and Apple are friends. Android is not an enemy, just a friendly competitor.

However, i do see the Android platform having far more games than the iPhone for far cheaper prices. As much as i want to, i just can't believe Apple will open up their tightly closed eco-system simply with the SDK. I expect everything to need Apple's seal of approval or face the threat of the infamous brickage.

And as can be seen in the vid, it's very very easy to get an intuitive user experience from Android, even with an early prototype.

Alas, yes this game is great and shows the potential for iPhone down the track.

Yeah okay, calm down.
No one's excited. You'd likely see two or more exclamation marks if they were.
Google and Apple are friends. Android is not an enemy, just a friendly competitor.
Everyone knows this. You should ask yourself WHY you were posting about Android to begin with. This thread is about taking advantage of innovations in user interface design and advancements in the nature of Apple's mobile hardware platform. --Then you bring up that Android runs Quake (believe it or not, the iPod Nano can run Doom, after you install Linux on it). Don't you think people are right to think, "WTF is this guy on about?"

You said:
How is Quake running on Android "raining on the parade of anything"? People would actually have liked that you had an interesting point... but you didn't, so instead you have the reaction "I want my two seconds of reading back". Sounds reasonable to me.

Ron Paul 2008!

~ CB

Hooka

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I like the look of the skateboard game that would be awesome, hopefully Apple will bring some games out soon.

This is truly a product that is five years ahead of anything on the market. The delay in the SDK should be viewed as a testament to the developers at Apple. That Apple has the balls not to release a inferior product, which has separated Apple from its competitors in the past.

The thirst for new products from its consumers is at an all time high. Apple could do the easy thing and release products that are considered "ready for market" by anyone elses standards, but they choose to wait. Apple has had this relatively new period of growth over the last 5-6 years and has been able to sustain it by not "jumping the gun."

You will be much happier when a full SDK is released, then having 4 million beta testers filling up the Genius Bar at every Apple store world wide.

sterlingindigo

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
East Lansing
Cool. I'd buy this game to download if it wasn't over-priced (more than $5). I play some of the web ap games but I think it's not a good use of the battery. Maybe we'll get a couple games bundled in the next upgrade.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
one class of games that should be relatively easy to develop along these lines would be a marble run/maze game (kind of like the old marble madness) entirely controlled by tilting/rotating moves of the device itself.

i bet it would be a blast

imagine a playable "nissan rogue" game :D

Marblemadnessscreenshot.png

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I like the look of the skateboard game that would be awesome, hopefully Apple will bring some games out soon.

I would be impressed if the iPhone could produce those particular level of graphics, seeing as that is the latest Tony Hawk game. But the concept seems really cool.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Tilt sensing and multitouch makes a unique game platform. And with the iPhone, add speakers and force feedback (vibrate) to the capabilities. Pretty unique for handheld gaming!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.