Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weizilla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
I have the dock on the left side of the screen to maximize the vertical screen space of my macbook. Now with less room, I want to maximize the icons i can fit on there (while still keeping them the same size).

I don't use the trash icon a lot but I can't figure out how to remove the icon from the dock. Is there a way, either via OS X, hacking some system files or even a 3rd party app to do this??

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I have the dock on the left side of the screen to maximize the vertical screen space of my macbook. Now with less room, I want to maximize the icons i can fit on there (while still keeping them the same size).

I don't use the trash icon a lot but I can't figure out how to remove the icon from the dock. Is there a way, either via OS X, hacking some system files or even a 3rd party app to do this??

NO. You cannot remove the Finder or Trash icons.

TEG

karenflower

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2007
You can't remove it, but if you want to make it more aesthetically pleasing you can change the icon. I have a blue elephant atm. :D

Andrew#Mac

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2019

You hide the Finder and Trash icons from the Dock by downloading the Path Finder app free trail, go to Path finder Preferences, Click Finder options, you will see. Then you can delete Path Finder then you will have a Remove from Dock option when you right click Finder or Trash. Use terminal and type "killall Dock" to get the icons back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.