Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 28, 2003, 05:13 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Bill Gates interview about Longhorn

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Bill Gates interview about Longhorn

Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by arn
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 28, 2003, 06:46 PM   #2
johnpg
macrumors member

Sound familiar?

Quote:
Sure. I think the idea that your address book should be usable by other applications, that your calendar should be accessible by other applications--that is a big part of Longhorn, because we move those rich user schemas down into the platform so that applications can all get at presence and phone numbers and annotate the address book, instead of things like each application having its own address book.
johnpg is offline   0
Old Oct 28, 2003, 06:55 PM   #3
pgwalsh
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to pgwalsh
Could he blow some more marketing smoke up are azzes
pgwalsh is offline   0
Old Oct 28, 2003, 07:22 PM   #4
theipodgod16
macrumors 6502

i want to say no, but somehow, he always finds some way to top himself...
iPod Classic (160 GB)
theipodgod16 is offline   0
Old Oct 28, 2003, 11:16 PM   #5
eric_n_dfw
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to eric_n_dfw Send a message via MSN to eric_n_dfw Send a message via Yahoo to eric_n_dfw Send a message via Skype™ to eric_n_dfw
Love this non-answer...

Quote:
Security is still a major issue for your customers. There were reports last week that some companies were reluctant to enter long-term contracts with Microsoft due to security concerns. What do you tell them about Longhorn that could change their minds?

First of all, I think you are mischaracterizing the reports. We have been very focused on helping customers with their security things, and we weren't even out there really touting these enterprise agreements like we normally do, because we have been very focused on helping people with their firewalls and updating. The two big things that stop propagation are software updating and firewall protection. In terms of keeping the update very small and flowing automatically, there is a lot that we need to do.

On the firewall side, we have articulated exactly how we are going to make that easy to audit and do super well. Our challenge is that because of the density of our systems, we have to block propagation, and the two ways to do that are to make sure people are up-to-date or turn on firewalls. So that's where we have a clear path to go through those things with customers in the coming months, to make sure that they are not having these security problems.
Spoken like the Iraqi Information Minister, eh? "There are no security issues. The Blaster worm and it's 7 other incarnations are all lies."
eric_n_dfw is offline   0
Old Oct 29, 2003, 07:34 PM   #6
zamyatin
macrumors regular

Cowboy

Sort of on-topic here...

If I were creating a Linux distribution today, I'd call it Cowboy Linux. Why? First, it does sound cool, but secondly, because cowboys rope, herd, brand, and yes, eat, longhorn cows every day.

Note: Longhorns are a type of cow, so what dumb company would call its OS a cow? "Microsoft Windows Cow Operating System" I like it!

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion