Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LUKas007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Info:
I've got an unlocked 1.1.3 iPhone (I've bought it unlocked, not sure how it was done). I'd like to upgrade it to 1.1.4. BTW, there's an issue with the phone, please read my previous thread if you don't mind. It would probably get fixed after restoring it with iTunes (I hope).

Questions:
1. Should I use iTunes to restore and update to 1.1.4 and then use iNdependence or iJailBreak?
2. Which one would you recommend iNdependence or iJailBreak?

Cheers

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
neither.

iJailbreak is basically Ziphone but retains your baseband at 4.02. the newest build also downgrades your bootloader.

independence is a nice utility tool to have when you want to install stuff like openssh, remove incompatible apps and does activation and what not.

So I'd suggest you use Ziphone 2.5, do a RESTORE to 1.1.4 then switch it off, hold the home button and plug it to the computer. launch ziphone and click do it all. you'll get it down to bootloader 3.9. no noticeable difference to the end user.

if you can, get ziphone 2.2, as that can put your phone in DFU mode while 2.5 cant. but run unlock on 2.5.

it will then be unlocked and working at baseband 4.04. I did mine today and everything works.

LUKas007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Thank you for your help iSamurai.

I'd like to ask some further questions... ;)
1. Should I click the iTunes' "Restore" buttton and then choose "Restore and Update" in the appearing dialog box?
2. Does Ziphone install SSH and Installer? If not, can I add them later on with iNdependence (I mean after activating and unlocking with Ziphone)?
3. Why should I use Ziphone 2.2 to put phone to DFU mode? Isn't in enough to just switch the mobile off and the power on with holding the home button then use Ziphone 2.5?

BTW, I read that the 4.02 baseband and 1.1.4 firmware (iNdependence's method?) can cause instability issues... Looks like Ziphone is the most reasonable choice indeed...

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
1. Should I click the iTunes' "Restore" buttton and then choose "Restore and Update" in the appearing dialog box?

download the 1.1.4 firmware. store it on your HD. open itunes, hold option while clicking "restore". you can then browse for the firmware. if you're on windows I think it's alt.

2. Does Ziphone install SSH and Installer? If not, can I add them later on with iNdependence (I mean after activating and unlocking with Ziphone)?

no SSH, but yes Installer. you can install SSH later with iNdependence.

3. Why should I use Ziphone 2.2 to put phone to DFU mode? Isn't in enough to just switch the mobile off and the power on with holding the home button then use Ziphone 2.5?

yeah, you could. as long as the phone is in DFU it's fine.

BTW, I read that the 4.02 baseband and 1.1.4 firmware (iNdependence's method?) can cause instability issues... Looks like Ziphone is the most reasonable choice indeed...

yep, that's why you should stick with 4.04 on 1.1.4. note, you'll have your bootloader downgraded to 3.9 if you're on 4.6.

read here if you have any more problems: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/445485/

LUKas007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
I got my iPhone back to life again! :) Thank you again iSamurai for your replies and help.

Everything seems to work flawlessly. Haven't noticed any issues since yesterday. YouTube and Maps doing well, (locate me too)... :)

I hope getting bootloader down to 3.9 won't create problems in the future...

NiceArthur32

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
little help, please

hey all, i jailbroke my iphone using ijailbreak and now my google and yahoo mail do not work...

if i restore my iphone and jailbreak using Ziphone will those programs work?

and i am currently on 1.1.3, is there any reason to go to 1.1.4???

i jailbroke my brothers phone on 1.1.4 and many of the apps didnt run properly....

i would appreciate any help...

thanks...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.