Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
I can no longer get my appleTV to show up under devices in itunes. I have the latest version of itunes running. The appleTV is plugged into the router by an ethernet cable and can access the itunes store fine. When I try and sync it with my PC i get the number to type in but nothing shows up on my PC.

I have tried turning off the option to look for an AppleTV under preferences but nothing has happened. I have even tried reinstalling itunes with no success.

The weird thing is, if I unplug the ethernet cable, everything works fine. I doubt it is the cable that is causing the problem and Apple have told me to change my ports that are open on the firewall but I have no idea how to do this, also until last week it has been working fine through the wired connection and I haven't changed anything on my router?

Can anyone help me before my AppleTV becomes useless?

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
Have you tried un-plugging and re-plugging the power on the AppleTV? It may have corrupt network settings or have locked up that potion of the OS.

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
thanks mowogg, I have tried that and it seems to have worked, hopefully it won't keep happening :)

jonthegeologist

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
Problems since 7.6.1 upgrade

Apple TV has disappeared from my iTunes device list since the upgrade to 7.6.1. I've reset both the ATV, iTunes ... I've reconfigured the network settings on the ATV. I can see the iTunes store on the ATV and on iTunes and all are on the same network. This is [insert your own expletive] frustrating.

Ideas anyone? Am I alone in seeing these issues since 7.6.1?

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
My new apple tv was doing the same thing....and i tried everything to remedy it.

The problem is itunes 7.6.1.

After a week of turning it on off , I have no firewall up, unpluging, resetting, redoing everything, restarting the airport, going to preference to find apple tv. The only thing that worked was unplugging and re-plugging but it would disappear 3 hours later.

I then downgraded to 7.6 which caused other issues but at least it stayed in device list.

The last thing i did was sync it to my laptop itunes 7.6.1....it would disappear there too.
Then i synced back to my imac reinstalled itunes 7.6.1 for a 3rd time and All of a sudden, now it works.
I don't know why....but its has stayed in the devices list 4 days and still there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.