Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TinoG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
Hello,

I want to network my Mac and PC in my home. I have a power Mac G5 (late 2005) running OS X 10.4.7. I have a PC running XP with my ISP going into a D-Link wireless router. I want to have internet access on my Mac. What hardware do I need for my Mac? I am unable to connect there using Ethernet cable. I am confused about AirPort and Airport Extreme. Is there a wireless card I can use for my Mac?

All help is sincerely appreciated, :confused:

Rick
TinoG@cfl.rr.com

TinoG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
Is that all I will need? I know I have an open slot. I don't need a base station...is that right?

...and thanks for your reply!

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Is that all I will need? I know I have an open slot. I don't need a base station...is that right?

...and thanks for your reply!

Well I was just reading and it says you need an The AirPort Extreme with Bluetooth 2.0+EDR card is available either as a factory-installed option at the time you purchase your Power Mac G5 (Late 2005), or you can add wireless capability post purchase1 by having an Apple Authorized Service Provider or a retail Apple Store install the AirPort Extreme with Bluetooth 2.0+EDR card for you. The AirPort Extreme with Bluetooth 2.0+EDR card is not a DIY (do-it-yourself) part. I really don't know if you can install it yourself. As for the other question no you don't need another wireless base station the dlink will work. Also there are other wireless dongles that will work. Just google it

TinoG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
Thanks so much for your help. I have been reading a lot. I was trying to do it myself but I will call my closest Apple dealer.

Rick

TinoG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
This is what I found...

System Requirements:
The AirPort Extreme Card can be installed only in computers that are AirPort Extreme ready. AirPort Extreme Cards cannot be used in AirPort-ready computers with an AirPort Card slot.
Requires Mac OS X 10.2.7 or later and AirPort Admin Utility software version 3.1.1 or later to administer an AirPort Extreme Base Station.
Wireless printing over USB requires Mac OS X v10.2.7 or later.

This AirPort Extreme Card is not compatible with the Mac Pro or the Power Mac G5 Dual and Power Mac G5 [/B
]Quad computers introduced in October 2005. To add an AirPort Extreme card to one of these systems, please contact an Apple Retail Store or other Authorized Apple Service Provider.

------------------------------
Then read this part...

The AirPort Extreme Card works with the computers listed below and with Mac OS X 10.2.3 or later.

Warning: The AirPort Extreme Card is for use only with the computers listed below. Attempting to install it in a computer that is not on this list may damage the computer and/or the card. For a list of computers that require the earlier AirPort Card, see, AirPort Card: Compatible Macintosh Computers.

When sold separately, the AirPort Extreme Card (Figure 1) requires one of these computers:

Power Mac G5

Power Mac G4 (FW 800)

PowerBook G4 (12-inch)

PowerBook G4 (12-inch DVI)

PowerBook G4 (15-inch FW800)

iMac - see this article instead.
iBook G4

eMac (ATI Graphics) (See Note)

eMac (USB 2.0)

TinoG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
So you can see, it tells me two different things. One says it is not compatable with my Mac... then another tells me it is OK. So I called my local (60 miles away) Apple store... I got some tech in Toronto, 1,400 miles away... and he told me all I needed was the card. He looked uop my machine specs, ect. Then I told him what I read ...posted above, from Apple... and he ended by telling me to take my machine to an Apple dealer. Sigh...

Rick

TinoG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
I also found an adapter a Hawking wireless G 2.0 model # HWUGIA. I'm told it will work. Bad Apple telling me I need to drag my machine into a store.

Anyways,
again, thanks for all your imput. Hope you have a great day.

Rick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.