Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Mar 2, 2008, 11:17 AM   #1
nick2u
macrumors newbie

Air's screen loose??? Manufacturing fault?

Hi fellas,

Just got myself an air last week and after a week of usage the screen got a little dirty so i decided to take out the cleaning cloth that apple provided to clean it.

Horrors! As I was cleaning the top edge of the screen (near the isight) and the left edge of the screen, using minimal pressure the screen sort of detached from the aluminum screen bezel, bending inwards to form a concave when viewed from the front!!! It emitted a tear like sound as if you pulled sticky tape off something, as it detached. And the result is that the screen has about a 0.5mm gap from the aluminum bezel! With time it probably stuck on again leaving about a 0.3mm gap. Looks to me as if the screen was taped onto the chassis. However the display is still working fine, even backlighting, gradient and pixels are all okay. And it seems as if the led screen can detach pretty easily. Can anyone verify this? My sister's mba has the same issue. It worries me as I feel it may come off altogether in future or the screen might have suffered some damage already or spoil in future or not attach back, or maybe some of the adhesive has already come loose.

Here it is:

Is the screen attached onto the bezel using sticky tape?

And does anyone have a similar experience?

Is it probably a manufacturing fault?

Should I probably be worried or concerned about it or is something wrong?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by nick2u; Mar 2, 2008 at 01:22 PM.
nick2u is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 11:27 AM   #2
dahcheet
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2u View Post
Hi fellas,

Just got myself an air last week and after a week of usage the screen got a little dirty so i decided to take out the cleaning cloth that apple provided to clean it.

Horrors! As I was cleaning the top edge of the screen (near the isight) and the left edge of the screen, using minimal pressure the screen sort of detached from the aluminum screen bezel, bending inwards to form a concave when viewed from the front!!! It emitted a tear like sound as if you pulled sticky tape off something, as it detached. And the result is that the screen has about a 0.5mm gap from the aluminum bezel! With time it probably stuck on again leaving about a 0.3mm gap. Looks to me as if the screen was taped onto the chassis. However the display is still working fine, even backlighting, gradient and pixels are all okay. And it seems as if the led screen can detach pretty easily. Can anyone verify this? My sister's mba has the same issue. It worries me as I feel it may come off altogether in future or the screen might have suffered some damage already or spoil in future or not attach back, or maybe some of the adhesive has already come loose.

Is the screen attached onto the bezel using sticky tape?

And does anyone have a similar experience?

Is it probably a manufacturing fault?

Should I probably be worried or concerned about it or is something wrong?

Thanks everyone!
I've cleaned my screen with a decent amount of pressure and haven't noticed any kind of separation between the LCD and the bezel. Best bet is to take it to an Apple store (hopefully close by) and have them take a look.
MacBook Air 1.8/80HDD
New to the world of Apple computing so bear with me
dahcheet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 11:47 AM   #3
nick2u
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahcheet View Post
I've cleaned my screen with a decent amount of pressure and haven't noticed any kind of separation between the LCD and the bezel. Best bet is to take it to an Apple store (hopefully close by) and have them take a look.
my sister's laptop also exhibits such symptoms...

thing is this is my 1st replacement and 2nd mba already... the first one didnt sit flush

i dont think they'll let me exchange again... besides... i live in singapore... there are no apple stores only resellers

can anyone else tell me if this is normal?
Old Mar 2, 2008, 12:03 PM   #4
clin86
macrumors regular

just bring it in to exchange. I dont think they can refuse. I think resellers are obligated by apple to provide you with the same service.
clin86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 12:38 PM   #5
NC MacGuy
macrumors 603

I've cleaned my screen a bunch and pressed pretty darn hard. Sounds like an open and shut exchange situation to me.
member #47,418
NC MacGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 12:39 PM   #6
nick2u
macrumors newbie

has anyone actually tried it yet???

if it's normal i wont need to waste a trip down...
Old Mar 2, 2008, 01:20 PM   #7
nick2u
macrumors newbie

An actual pic of the gap...

Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:11 AM   #8
Ride9650
macrumors 6502

I had the exact same experience, though with a MBP, anyways when I took it in I was told it was "within spec". Something about the aluminum naturally warping slightly depending on the environment.
If it really bothers you, I would just take it in and at least try to get it exchanged, you might have better luck than I did.

If it helps at all, I've had my MBP for almost a year with no issues whatsoever.
Ride9650 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air