Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
I'm not 100% sure that should I post this in the iPod touch forum or here, since the problem manifests itself in my touch....

I have a bunch of songs from ZZTop from their "Greatest Hits"-compilation. I have also bought Richard Marx's song "Hazard" from ITMS, and it's from his "Greatest Hits" compilation. Now, if I browse my songs in the touch by album, I only have one album called "Greatest Hits" listed, and that album contains songs from both ZZTop and Richard Marx. In iTunes's album-view those albums are listed separately like it should be.

I have checked the settings in iTunes, and I have checked the "Part of a compilation" in both artist's songs, and the metadata (Artist, Album Artist etc.). What gives?

theodor p

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
what i did is change the album name from "Greatest Hits" to "Greatest Hits - (insert band name here)"

seems to work pretty well, or you could change the info in the "sorting" pane of the get info window of the song.

bsheridan

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
In itunes go to Get Info | Sorting | Sort Album. Then for ZZtop type ZZTop greatest hits, and likewise for the other album.
This way both albums should appear as Greatest Hits but as 2 separate albums.
You have to edit each song individually though to access the 'Sort Album' option.

Good luck, B.

losx12

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
You should uncheck "part of a compilation" off both albums. When you check it, it makes itunes think its one album with various artists which is not the case here.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
I think setting the "Album Artist" tag gets around this problem.

That tag is already set like that

You should uncheck "part of a compilation" off both albums. When you check it, it makes itunes think its one album with various artists which is not the case here.

I do have that box checked. I'll try unchecking it.

EDIT: I unchecked the checkbox, and re-synced my touch, but it still lists those two albums as one :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.