Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OmarM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
London
Hello People,

My first post.

I’ve been sitting on the fence long enough looking into the mac world and will joining it for real on the 8th March, this coming Saturday. I plan to venture forth into thy store of Apple and get myself a laptop upgrade way over due. OK so I have used mac’s before so not a total noobe, but after my Dell 1730 gave me so many problems over the last few weeks and the crappy network performance I think I need the mac...I need to work and not think about how to work...just get on with it.

So MBP 17” is what I’ve chosen.

While venturing through through all my rss’s I came across an interesting article...it said that Apple store’s are like thee place to meet people. I’ve met 5 people so far from net to real life meetings...two were female...there was always that ‘exual undertone to the whole initial meeting but after that it was fine...still meet up with them, other three were totally uber-aweome-cool guys, we mail each other all the time on whatever, got few of them hooked on wow and css in the process:->

I thought I’d ask people if they want to meet up and just say hello during my shopping excavation next weekend. I dislike (hate) going to buy something from a shop I’ve never been to without some sort of event attached to it. So I think meeting unknown people would be a pretty cool (read different) thing to look forward to during that day.

Oh...about me if ur wondering...well just PM me...

Saturday 8th...was thinking around 11am onwards?:p

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Mod's note: I think it's best if people refrained from making rash judgements about the OP's motives. The Apple Store in Regent Street is a huge and very public place.

Anyone willing to catch up with OP can PM him as requested. Use your common sense, though.

OmarM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
London
That's what I thought initially Sketchy but well...why not give it ago...I mean I see all these people in shops and like nobody knows each other apart from the people they go with or know from elsewhere.

Sadly in London we are no as open or approachable as some places.

Plus what's the worst that can happen...no one comes, meet no one...buy my laptop and go on with my life? That's what I was going to do anyways, changing it might make it more fun. As for creepy..that would be if I wrote my whole life story out as well and pasted all my personal details and made the whole thing make like I need to meet a woman...desperation is never a nice is any form most of the time.

Oh and nice meeting u:p

dp...children...bearing my mind I have a daughter...that is plain sick...there'll always be people who are plain twisted...oh and incase people dont know...the store has 100+ people inside all the time...ah...each to there own...its not like I am demanding people meet me...just suggesting it...suggesting something is not the same as actually doing something is it?

People...read it anyway u want...just thought it would be bit kooler.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
On a side note, for the past couple of years each summer, we've held an all-afternoon public event — a picnic — in one of London's parks where you can meet a lot of regular UK MacRumors forum members.

We'll be having another one this year; keep an eye out in this forum for further news soon. :)

Applespider

macrumors G4
One suggestion since I doubt many people would make a special trip into Regent St to meet another MR member unless they'd been round for a while and they'd kinda got to know them a bit.

Why not post when you arrive at the store - with a pic from the Photobooth - and see if there are any other MR members there at the time?

You never know - I've bumped into a few there inadvertently although admittedly I had the advantage of previously having met them.

OmarM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
London
U serious Velvet? That is kinda kool...might attend it. That is so kewl...wait...do I have to bring a mac with me? Is there some sort of ritual sacrifice? Lol...only joking...so many serious people around here...u'd think there surfing this site is a job (comment excludes mods, admins, etc...I know how hard it can be time wise running a forum).

Hmmm, yep...might do that...let us pray that my iPhone battery does not die when I flick on wifi on services

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Hmmm, yep...might do that...let us pray that my iPhone battery does not die when I flick on wifi on services

Erm, if you're in the store they have lots of computers to use. Yes, you will feel a pang of guilt logging on to MR from an Apple Store computer. But it soon passes..

OmarM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
London
Hi Stampy [sic name],

And there I was all ready with my spade and torso already to be shown off...been slaving away in the gym as well to make my one pack into 3 pack (never get the full 6-ish ones)...oh well...lol...actually last time I was in PC World and used a laptop to upload some images to the net...felt kind of guilty afterwards but I also cleaned all the spyware on the system so kind of made up for it. The shop assistant thought I was nutz at the time waiting for spybot to do its thing but my 'story' on how malware destroyed my mental stability did make her laugh so much she had tears streaming...(its was funny not the other)...

Well I have one person I am meeting, know her from another forum. So hunting for my 7th iFriend:)

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Hi Stampy [sic name],

And there I was all ready with my spade and torso already to be shown off...been slaving away in the gym as well to make my one pack into 3 pack (never get the full 6-ish ones)...oh well...lol...actually last time I was in PC World and used a laptop to upload some images to the net...felt kind of guilty afterwards but I also cleaned all the spyware on the system so kind of made up for it. The shop assistant thought I was nutz at the time waiting for spybot to do its thing but my 'story' on how malware destroyed my mental stability did make her laugh so much she had tears streaming...(its was funny not the other)...

Well I have one person I am meeting, know her from another forum. So hunting for my 7th iFriend:)

I'd meet up with you if my $%#@ passport wasn't taking so long to get to me. Sorry, I'm a little bitter. My new girlfriend lives in London and I was supposed to fly out there and meet up with her this month, but Passport Canada has other plans... Let us know how it goes, though.

OmarM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
London
Sesshi....u have hair?

105...awlkward...hmmm....ah that happened to me the train today. The train pulled up into the station and through the window I saw this attractive woman and just glanced at her and then stayed fixed on her, smiled and then went back to watching Sex is Zero 2 (Korean movie...no subs out so if u dont know Korean...wait 4 subs)...then noticed she was sitting opposite me in an almost empty carriage...well there were plenty of seats free...that was awkward...the fisp stopped me from enjoying myself...[breathes in]

Head....ah...bummer about the passport. Had similar problems but luckily got a temporary or emergency one:)

Note to people...if ur paranoid, scared of being seen in public, think the world is actually the matrix or think ur gonna die by meeting me...dont do me wii lass's. Few of my work people been reading this thread and cannot stop laughing at some of the replies. We are taking bets that most of the people that replied are in the US?

Applespider

macrumors G4
Note to people...if ur paranoid, scared of being seen in public, think the world is actually the matrix or think ur gonna die by meeting me...dont do me wii lass's. Few of my work people been reading this thread and cannot stop laughing at some of the replies. We are taking bets that most of the people that replied are in the US?

You'd be wrong. Most people are in London and have met up for drinks/meals in the past. However, we've done after having some conversation here with them first and figuring out that they're people we might enjoy spending time with. The only person that a few of us broke that 'rule' with turned out to be a total arse.

I'm in London, not paranoid or scared of being seen in public. But I'm not going to spend my Saturday in the Apple store to meet a guy whose posts are nearly illegible - what on earth does the bit in red mean? :confused: - on the off chance that we might have something in common other than owning a Mac. Perhaps if you hang around a little and let us get to know you, you might get a warmer welcome at the London picnic.

OmarM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
London
Might be going on Friday night if I can...got myself a day long date shopping in Bluewaters...yes they have a apple store but I want to get it from the Regents Street one as I have never been inside there plus its what I want to do...if possible.

I hate being a git sometimes...somebody scream my name:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.