Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Mar 2, 2008, 02:19 PM   #1
RMo
macrumors 6502a

Unhappy Macbook won't start (actually, turns on but does nothing)

Hello,

I have a refurbed Macbook that I bought about 6 months ago, and last night when I woke it up from sleep, the screen stayed black and I couldn't do anything. I tried restarting, but the same thing happened: it turned on (which I know only because I can hear fans or something inside and because the white light on the front comes on), but nothing happens. No startup chime, nothing on the display, nothing.

I would appreciate any help anyone could give me with this issue. I've reset the PMU and PRAM (and yes, even tried obvious things like changing the brightness on the display--that's definitely not the problem). I've tried it with and without both the battery and Magsafe adapter. Speaking of which, another interesting thing: when I turn it on, the charge indicator lights on the battery all come on, and then they all stay on except for the fifth (top) light, which blinks on and off. I don't know if that normally happens, but I just noticed it now.

Since it's only about 6 months old, I still have my limited one-year warranty (I haven't purchased AppleCare yet), but I live in the middle of nowhere and don't have an Apple Store or authorized repair place anywhere near me, plus I'm a college student living in town without a car and it would be difficult for me to make the 3-hour round trip to get to the nearest one. (I wish I could mail it in like I could with my iPod a couple years ago...)

Any ideas? Thanks.
RMo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 03:07 PM   #2
Cyroceon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMo View Post
Hello,

I have a refurbed Macbook that I bought about 6 months ago, and last night when I woke it up from sleep, the screen stayed black and I couldn't do anything. I tried restarting, but the same thing happened: it turned on (which I know only because I can hear fans or something inside and because the white light on the front comes on), but nothing happens. No startup chime, nothing on the display, nothing.

I would appreciate any help anyone could give me with this issue. I've reset the PMU and PRAM (and yes, even tried obvious things like changing the brightness on the display--that's definitely not the problem). I've tried it with and without both the battery and Magsafe adapter. Speaking of which, another interesting thing: when I turn it on, the charge indicator lights on the battery all come on, and then they all stay on except for the fifth (top) light, which blinks on and off. I don't know if that normally happens, but I just noticed it now.

Since it's only about 6 months old, I still have my limited one-year warranty (I haven't purchased AppleCare yet), but I live in the middle of nowhere and don't have an Apple Store or authorized repair place anywhere near me, plus I'm a college student living in town without a car and it would be difficult for me to make the 3-hour round trip to get to the nearest one. (I wish I could mail it in like I could with my iPod a couple years ago...)

Any ideas? Thanks.
Get on the phone with Apple ASAP. Call them and tell them the problem and tell them your situation. They should be able to provide you with an adequate solution that will be sure to please you.
iPhone 5 16GB Black & Slate
Cyroceon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook