Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hbhong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
Hello,

I'm trying to use Samsung 26-inch LCD TV (LNT-2653H) as an external monitor for my MacBook. The TV has VGA (D-Sub) port for PC connection.

I used mini-DVI to VGA adaptor and VGA cable to TV.
In MacBook, the OS X automatically detect the TV's resolution such as "Samsung 1366 x 768" -- the optimum resolution provided by Samsung. So, there's no problem to detect the TV from MacBook.

However, when I press the "source" button of TV remote to select the PC connection, it does not happen anything. Basically, TV cannot detect the video signal from MacBook. When I tried to connect windows PC to the same TV with VGA cable, it works with no problem at all.

Anybody can help me?

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Make sure that the Mac is choosing the Samsung's native resolution (should be in the TV's manual). My MBP works perfectly with my Samsung 40" LCD TV (720p). Also make sure that your MBP is mirroring and not in second display mode (may or may not make a difference).

hbhong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
Make sure that the Mac is choosing the Samsung's native resolution (should be in the TV's manual). My MBP works perfectly with my Samsung 40" LCD TV (720p). Also make sure that your MBP is mirroring and not in second display mode (may or may not make a difference).

Thanks.
I selected both the resolution and mirroring option as you said, but it does not work.

hbhong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
Hmm. Not sure. Have you tried booting your Mac while it's connected to the TV (and with the TV on)? If so, can you try to connect your Mac to another display, such as a CRT, to make sure your adapter is working properly?

You're right.
The mini-DVI to VGA adaptor was the problem. After I replace it with a brand new one, it works perfectly.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.