Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Mar 2, 2008, 10:01 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Mr. Jobs--Buy Back Apple's Stock

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Mr. Jobs--Buy Back Apple's Stock
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Mar 2, 2008, 11:17 PM   #2
stagi
macrumors 65816

Yes please buy back some stock!!!! We need a bump for AAPL
stagi is offline   0
Old Mar 2, 2008, 11:46 PM   #3
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

excellent idea for apple and for investors. The company is healthy and will rebound, and this will be a good show of apple's confidence in itself.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 12:10 PM   #4
Lord Sam
macrumors regular

Location: On a boat, with 286 cats and a dog. The dogs don't last very long.
Well, the stock has really underperformed, and this might show a bit of desperation. So far, despite every trick that Apple can pull off, their stock continues to lounge about at the bottom of the pool, and doesn't look like it's about to swim off anywhere on it's own.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 12:58 PM   #5
macFanDave
macrumors 6502a

I wish people would look at AAPL's chart

over a realistic time interval, like, maybe, a WHOLE year!

Historically speaking, AAPL in the 120's is great. That was an all-time high when Apple hit that for the first time in its history -- about a year ago.

Sure, in the second half of '07, the stock went kind of wild. (Any of you other old timers like me will recognize the pattern that occurred in 2000.) Periodically, there will be a stampede of bulls that will run Apple's price way up, way too fast. (And no one wants to say, "Slow down, you are making me too rich too fast!") I have a feeling that there is a small cabal that does a pump-and-dump on the market.

I just see that Apple is doing well in everything they are doing, so I remain optimistic about the company's future, and I don't give much weight to the periodic bouts of euphoria and depression of ignorant day-traders.

Stock buybacks are a good way for the company to signal its optimism about its future, but Apple would only have to make a nominal purchase to give that signal and would not have to make a big dent on the cash reserve.
macFanDave is offline   0
Old Mar 4, 2008, 08:44 PM   #6
oxide7
macrumors newbie

doesnt look hopeful w/ a direct "aint gonna do it" from Jobs

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/2008...e-buybacks.htm

anyway i think jobs like to have the money in the bank to make up for other deficiencies
oxide7 is offline   0
Old Mar 4, 2008, 08:59 PM   #7
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goldman
that moment when Jobs had to take that $100 million gift from Microsoft just to stay in business
Wrong! Apple never took a $100 million gift from Microsoft. They did take an investment, but it wasn't a gift, it was a settlement for a lawsuit, and it had nothing to do with staying in business, and it was $150 million. Even then, Apple had no debt and about $1 billion in cash on the balance sheet.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 09:17 PM   #8
Bigewilson
macrumors newbie

Split

Buyers don't need to double there money to buy a 24 thousand dollar something; even if, they could buy more shares. They need tv money, ironically computer money, maybe even a boob job but 24,000 doesn't by diddle squat. The company want us to forget tv's, computers, fun and everything else they used to stand for.
I hope their moneys better than mine. They gave me some of mine back and it's been crappy. School's looking like I shouldn't invest in myself like that. Anyway thats the big money and it, like most things, sucks now.
So do we sit around and try to make our computers make life worth living again or figure out how great the imaginary ladder of silicon isn't when we all sit and hate on whoever is living there life.
We need inspiration, motivation and fun, things which we only wish we could buy long enough to part with our money.
Passion enough to take that old scrouge money grubbing accountant off of more money than he'd ever spend in a day and back into the company of not only Apple but the rest of the world. I can see the piggy bank mansion emptying it self now like a scene from Duck Tales.
Bigewilson is offline   0
Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:50 PM   #9
blairwillis
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post
over a realistic time interval, like, maybe, a WHOLE year!

Historically speaking, AAPL in the 120's is great. That was an all-time high when Apple hit that for the first time in its history -- about a year ago.

Sure, in the second half of '07, the stock went kind of wild. (Any of you other old timers like me will recognize the pattern that occurred in 2000.)
For sure. The writing was on the wall, and I wasn't about to get stuck like I did back then. I jumped out conservatively (~170) and mentioned it to my contacts who I know were holding AAPL. I watched it wobble all the way to the upside of $200 and that's the day I called them back and said SELL SELL SELL.

I look back and still can't believe the climb of the past few years. If it weren't for solid fundamentals, continuously amazing products, a small countries worth of cash in the bank and superb leadership, I wouldn't have stayed on for the ride. Certainly not with most any other company.

I'm waiting to get back in until the market settles down, and I think that's a while to come. There is money to be made riding the short AAPL roller coaster, but that's not for me.

Ever notice how when a roller coaster shuts down for repairs during an afternoon at the amusement park, then suddenly reopens, people literally run to be first in line?

Sorry folks, we just had to clean up a little blood on the track...

(o.k., that went a little far, I'll admit.)
blairwillis is online now   0
Old Mar 15, 2008, 09:42 PM   #10
TFM
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairwillis View Post
For sure. The writing was on the wall, and I wasn't about to get stuck like I did back then. I jumped out conservatively (~170) and mentioned it to my contacts who I know were holding AAPL. I watched it wobble all the way to the upside of $200 and that's the day I called them back and said SELL SELL SELL.

I look back and still can't believe the climb of the past few years. If it weren't for solid fundamentals, continuously amazing products, a small countries worth of cash in the bank and superb leadership, I wouldn't have stayed on for the ride. Certainly not with most any other company.

I'm waiting to get back in until the market settles down, and I think that's a while to come. There is money to be made riding the short AAPL roller coaster, but that's not for me.

Ever notice how when a roller coaster shuts down for repairs during an afternoon at the amusement park, then suddenly reopens, people literally run to be first in line?

(o.k., that went a little far, I'll admit.)
lol - i appreciate the analogy
TFM is offline   0
Old Mar 17, 2008, 08:00 PM   #11
SLRGuro61
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFM View Post
lol - i appreciate the analogy
Well said.
SLRGuro61 is offline   0
Old Mar 17, 2008, 10:12 PM   #12
MikeTheC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairwillis View Post
ROFL...

Damn, dude, that almost made me spit my drink out of my mouth!!!
MikeTheC is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion